Menu

Credit for band/private piano/self-instruction guitar?

Dd spends at least an hour a day on music -- between playing flute for band (two hours practice each week plus daily practice at home); private piano lessons; and she is now teaching herself guitar!

I had planned to give a half credit for band but I'm now wondering if she should get a full credit? Really, it is a lot of work!

On the other hand, I know students in traditional school do *not* receive transcript credit for private piano lessons and other instruments they pick up as a hobby.

Suggestions?

I do think that at some point we will use a good music theory course, along with a music history/composer study, and between that and all the instrument practice, award a full credit -- but I don't know what to call it. Fundamentals of Music?

I gave credit when I felt dd had flushed out her lessons/practice with things like flute choir, flute camp, composer studies (The Story of... CD's and creating a notebook page), and recital.

She did receive public school credit in the past, but it included similar things -- marching band, concert performances, auditions & challenges for chair positions, plus just the ins & outs of daily playing with a large group, following a conductor, handling the mistakes of yourself & others as you play, etc.

Julie

My daughter is a pianist and takes a 45 min private lesson each week, a group lesson approx once each month, has lots of theory instruction, practices at least 2.5 hours per day and is giving a senior recital in May. Due to this, I gave her a full credit for music, for each year of high school.

That said, I did not use that credit to factor her GPA. I noted that on all her ppw. She is pursuing piano as a degree and will seek her masters