Menu

English Grammar curriculum question

Hi, I'm looking for recommendations on English Grammar that has a repetitive style like Saxon Math. This is for a high school student who is deficient in this subject, so it can be on the middle school or higher level.

I'm not interested in Shurley because we used that on and off and at this point it is late to try and start it back again. I currently use ABeka, but it is somewhat confusing on some things and doesn't have enough practice on concepts.

It doesn't have to be a classical approach, either. Just one that would help a student with some learning retention issues!

Thanks in advance for any recommendations!

~Robin

I don't use either but two options come to mind:

(1) Since you like Saxon, Saxon Grammar & Writing (did it used to be called Hake Grammar & Writing?). I think it's written for grades 5-8.

(2) CLE Language Arts. It's in a workbook form and goes through 10th grade. There are placement tests so you can find the right level, and it's in workbook format.

Another option would be Easy Grammar Plus. It doesn't exactly have the review like Saxon, but the concepts build on each other systematically and there are frequent cumulative reviews and tests. EG Plus worked very well with my oldest dd who had no grammar education when she was taken out of public school. They now have a high school series so you could continue as needed.

HTH!

I think you might like CLE language arts for this. It has what I'd consider a 'spiral' approach if that's what you mean by 'like Saxon.' My son has really fine-tuned his skills in this area using the CLE Lightunits a grade-level or two below his age. They're inexpensive, and have a placement test on the website. We just x out the spelling work and do 2 or 3 lessons a day. While researching the ACT I was excited to see that what we are covering in CLE is very applicable.

I haven't used it in several years, but I think Rod and Staff might be another good option.:)

Another member (Sue in St. Pete) here suggested it and it is great! Not flashy or colorful but even my son says it is the best we have found.

Solid, rigorous and mostly independent. I start each week with a bit of time spent starting a new chapter and then he is on his own until we review his test score at the end of the week. Excellent.

I'm looking at these and especially like the CLE format of small books. It reminds me of Keys curriculum.

Now I've had some advice from an English professor homeschool mom who says at this point I really shouldn't be looking for a grammar curriculum and just immerse her in writing. Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree with thinking I HAVE to have a specific grammar program at this point?

This is the last child I am homeschooling and I want to get it right. She is not at her grade level on grammar and math. I think I keep spinning my wheels trying to find the "right" curriculum that will fix it.

I could use ANY inspiration.........

TIA to all!

~Robin

Hi, I'm looking for recommendations on English Grammar that has a repetitive style like Saxon Math.

Saxon Grammar. We love it. It includes grammar, diagramming, vocabulary, usage, punctuation, spelling, etc. Very throrough. We don't use the writing part, but we have used some of the editing/understanding exercises in the writing workbook. Incremental, with constant, spiral review, just like Saxon Math.

Edited by plimsoll

Another member (Sue in St. Pete) here suggested it and it is great! Not flashy or colorful but even my son says it is the best we have found.

Solid, rigorous and mostly independent. I start each week with a bit of time spent starting a new chapter and then he is on his own until we review his test score at the end of the week. Excellent.

:iagree::iagree:Oldest dd completed Analytical Grammar in a year. It was repetitive, rigorous, and very comprehensive. She worked independently and found it easy to do so. Explanations are detailed and thorough. I highly recommend this grammar program!

:iagree:Analytical Grammar!

We started Analytical Grammar last year before Storm entered school. I find AG the best, one volume grammar text on the market. Each unit begins with a short introduction/lesson and then moves directly into four daily lessons, ending with a unit test. We're working our way straight through the program in order to catch up to where Storm's classmates are within the text.

I like the fact that after using AG, Storm does not need another grammar program. In order to keep skills fresh, the author of AG offers three reinforcement workbooks for use after a student completes the main program textbook.

I'm looking at these and especially like the CLE format of small books. It reminds me of Keys curriculum.

Now I've had some advice from an English professor homeschool mom who says at this point I really shouldn't be looking for a grammar curriculum and just immerse her in writing. Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree with thinking I HAVE to have a specific grammar program at this point?

This is the last child I am homeschooling and I want to get it right. She is not at her grade level on grammar and math. I think I keep spinning my wheels trying to find the "right" curriculum that will fix it.

I could use ANY inspiration.........

TIA to all!

~Robin

:grouphug: I would just encourage you not to give up on grammar at this point, especially if your dd is not yet at grade level. She's going to need grammar for the SAT. My ds did grammar all the way up through 11th grade (ran out of curriculum at that point :001_smile:) and I don't regret it at all. It has served him well. Sorry I don't have a curriculum recommendation for you--A Beka worked/is working for my dc--but it sounds like you've gotten some excellent suggestions here, so I'd encourage you to check those out.

Best of luck!! :001_smile: