Menu

Rightstart Math or Teaching Textbooks for my daughter?

Michelle My Bell

I love Rightstart with my little girls and think it would be a good fit for my older daughter who is behind in math a little due to not being ready for it when she was younger and some learning issues she was having at the time.

Now that she is older, she works very well on her own, but I am scared that math could be a problem. I would love to use Teaching Textbooks with her to free me up, but I am worried it will be to random for her.

My other thought is Rightstart is excellent for teaching concepts, but I am worried that I will get frustrated with the time it takes to teach two levels a day.

What would you do? She is in 6th grade but about a 4th grader in math.

Michelle

I use both. If you can anyway. My older kids do like TT very much but I find RS teaches much better. Combined, they work very well. Perhaps you could just do a few days a week of RS with her maybe even 2 lessons at a time? Just a thought. Hope you find something that works well for you.

I love Rightstart with my little girls and think it would be a good fit for my older daughter who is behind in math a little due to not being ready for it when she was younger and some learning issues she was having at the time.

Now that she is older, she works very well on her own, but I am scared that math could be a problem. I would love to use Teaching Textbooks with her to free me up, but I am worried it will be to random for her.

My other thought is Rightstart is excellent for teaching concepts, but I am worried that I will get frustrated with the time it takes to teach two levels a day.

What would you do? She is in 6th grade but about a 4th grader in math.

Michelle

What level are you on? My guess is you aren't that far from Geometry and at that point they recommend you do it with a pre-algebra program. They recommend Video Text algebra, but the point being they don't do it every day. It is supposed to be done independently, but I suspect my dd will need my helps, and have heard other mother's state the same. But again, at least it isn't day in and out.

Heather (6th grader doing level E, 4th grader doing level D, 3rd grader doing level C and 1st grader doing level B)