Menu

Jump In writing-can you tell me more?

Karie

I just looked at this. My son is not a reluctant writer, but I need something for writing. He writes good paragraphs, but I want to take it to the next level of essays. If you've used this program, can you tell me about it? This would be for a 6th grader.

My 7th grader like it tremendously. She claims it was her favorite writing program. It breaks the writing process down into small bites. It is written to the student and I had very little to do. It is advertised as a 2 year program, but I did not find that to be the case. Basically, it is a 1 year program with writing prompts for the 2nd year. It improved dd's writing. But, it was not enough. I had to find something else for the following year.

Opinion essays, report writing, biographies, book reports, compare and contract essays. It covers most of the bases for typical writing assignments expected of middle/high school students. It breaks down the assignments into componet parts prior to assigning the paper. We're about 3/4 way through the workbooks and should complete it this year. We'll have completed it in one year.

One thing I've needed to do to make the process smoother is make notes at the end of each unit for ds. I've created a "cheat sheet" with notes and diagrams to illustrate the points made in each unit. Ds forgets all the relevant information unless reminded by the time he actually gets to the writing assignment.

It provides little guidence regarding style or grammar, but, rather is a program that explains the structure of essays.

I think it would work well for most 6th or 7th graders. It might be a bit much for younger students and not cover enough ground for older students.

Next year DS (8th grade) will work through Put That In Writing while still being given writing assigments based on the course material from Jump In. I'll continue to use the "cheat sheets" for these assignments.

Adding: It's written to the student and can be done somewhat independently. Unlike, say, Writeshop, it doesn't require a teacher for the daily lessons. Although teacher feedback is necessary for the finished essays.

HTH, Stacy

Edited by Stacy in NJ
bit more

I'm using it with a 5th and a 7th grader this year. My 5th grader was a natural writer, my 7th grader a reluctant one. It has been a wonderful program for both of them. It is easy, incremental and really walks them through the steps necessary for writing a lot of different types of papers.

I did have to work a lot with my daughter on revision and quality of sentence and paragraph writing at the beginning of the year. She was in public school until this year. Jump In doesn't do mechanics, but my kids have both shown dramatic improvement in their writing.

My son wrote barely at age level beginning the program, while in other subjects he is well above. His writing has grown in organization and structure as he has learned various writing styles and the voices appropriate to those different styles.

My daughter was a great creative writer with wonderful voice, but poor organization and no experience with revision and little with expository writing of any kind. She too has learned the different styles of papers. She has learned to revise and perfect her work and really make a creative paper with great voice into something worth reading.

If you have specific questions about what is covered or how, feel free to ask. I have really enjoyed using this program and my kids mostly enjoy using it, although they find they like some and dislike some types of papers.

We use some of the writing prompts on days when one finishes a paper before the other or for days when we have some time available. I pick and choose from them, but its hard to find ones that my kids like from their suggestions.

Here are 3 past threads on Jump In, each with quite a few reviews, comments and descriptions about how the program works. Hope that helps! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Jump In by Apologia

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103001&highlight=Jump

Reasons you did NOT like the Jump In writing program

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101057&highlight=Jump

I would love some opinions on the Jump In writing program

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86211&highlight=Jump