Menu

Oh, my! The Roku player ROCKS!

I did some transcribing for the company dh works for, and used the money to buy a Roku player. I am impressed! I feel like my Netflix membership is SUCH a huge bargain now! So many movies, old TV shows, documentaries, etc., are available. I loaded up our instant queue already. It took us minutes to set it up, and works beautifully.

By the way, my dh noticed on the Netflix website that sometime "this spring", there will be software available so that the Wii will also stream Netflix movies. We went ahead and bought the Roku HD player, because we have an HD TV, and apparently (according to dh), the Wii won't be able to stream in HD. But if you already have a Netflix membership and a Wii, sign up for the software to be sent out when it's ready.

Wendi

Thanks for the review. We are thinking about getting Netflix and Roku, but may want a DVR like the $300 Sears one Reg shared. We don't have HD TV.

How long does your instant queue list stay there?

Dh likes recording the news and fast-forwarding through it later. I'm trying to figure out my cheapest option. I think I need a DVR of some sort for that.

We love love LOVE ours too!

We stream via xbox 360 on another tv and that works great too!

Dh and I can't comprehend why anyone would waste money on cable when they can skip commercials and pay 1/10 or less for netflix.

For our house, it's the sports. My dh and ds's love college basketball and football.

I've added two tags below for your researching pleasure. But I would like to see two more. Would someone please add 'netflix' and 'wii' tags to this thread? TIA!

If you are still itching to organize a little further, would you please click on the 'roku' tag below and then add a third tag 'netflix' to the threads that already have 'ditching cable' and 'roku'. Again, I've hit my limit! I count fourteen threads that need that tag. Reg and Adrian Monk will be forever thankful! :tongue_smilie:

ETA: Thanks to whomever for adding the tags! :001_smile:

Edited by RegGuheert

We love ours too. We just watched Syriana last night, and I love being able to add documentaries for the kids to watch. I do wish we could organize the queue better, but I'll take it as is :) Our internet connection is pretty wonky (bad wiring, it seems) and in spite of all the outages on the line, the Roku movies are NEVER interrupted. My only complaint is that their customer service is not so great, and thanks to that, I ended up with an extra box when I shouldn't have (still have it in case anyone's contemplating :D), which was frustrating. But I would still totally buy it again if I had to!

Thanks for the info. The streaming options from Netflix might be nice for educational programs. Are there some good ones available?

The Roku doesn't record local stations, does it?

The Roku doesn't record anything; it simply streams netflix programs. You don't get to "keep" the program once it's streamed, but it does stay in your queue until it expires. I've had a few movies expire from streaming, but it was only maybe 3 out of 150 I have in my queue. If you want do download and keep programming, Apple TV does that.

We've seen some great educational dvds and movies streamed. I think you can peruse their playlist w/o being a customer. I've been very happy with netflix. I don't have the Roku yet (my dad does, though), and I think I'm going to wait until the Wii can stream movies.

The Roku doesn't record anything; it simply streams netflix programs. You don't get to "keep" the program once it's streamed, but it does stay in your queue until it expires. I've had a few movies expire from streaming, but it was only maybe 3 out of 150 I have in my queue. If you want do download and keep programming, Apple TV does that.

We've seen some great educational dvds and movies streamed. I think you can peruse their playlist w/o being a customer. I've been very happy with netflix. I don't have the Roku yet (my dad does, though), and I think I'm going to wait until the Wii can stream movies.

Thanks, Michelle! We don't even have HD TV, but I think we would enjoy Netflix... and even more with Roku. This is all new to us. Thanks for helping me understand it better.

We absolutely LOVE our Roku! It's fascinating our friends too! Since giving up cable (except for the 12 very basic local channels), the Roku has been used more than the regular TV. My boys are loving all the options, and I'm thoroughly enjoying the resurrection of old kid shows like Fraggle Rock and Inspector Gadget. Their favorite right now is a movie called Tugger about a WWII Jeep who wants to fly. The educational shows are a huge hit with my oldest.

• 2 months later...
I did some transcribing for the company dh works for, and used the money to buy a Roku player. I am impressed! I feel like my Netflix membership is SUCH a huge bargain now! So many movies, old TV shows, documentaries, etc., are available. I loaded up our instant queue already. It took us minutes to set it up, and works beautifully.Wendi

I want to get a Roku player but not sure if I should get the SD variety or the HD and was wondering if you could help, Wendy. We have an older TV, not an HD type. Would the HD Roku work on our TV anyways, do you know? I could probably find this out on the website but since you have first hand experience I thought it would be easier to ask you!

What kind of TV did you hook yours to?

Thank you!

We absolutely LOVE our Roku! It's fascinating our friends too! Since giving up cable (except for the 12 very basic local channels), the Roku has been used more than the regular TV. My boys are loving all the options, and I'm thoroughly enjoying the resurrection of old kid shows like Fraggle Rock and Inspector Gadget. Their favorite right now is a movie called Tugger about a WWII Jeep who wants to fly. The educational shows are a huge hit with my oldest.

You, too, Jennifer...what type of TV did you hook your Roku to? We have an older one so wondering if I need a newer HD type. Thank you!