Menu

WWYD? Moving - which room would be best for our schoolroom?

I need opinions:

We are moving back into our house either tomorrow (unlikely) or Friday.

Our huge 'great room' which was where we had our classroom set up (and rather nicely, at that) will not be available for us to use as we are now having that renovated. The process is likely to take a few months b/c it will be done as $$$$ is available AND I have come to learn how long these things take.

My choices are: the kitchen: which is now brand new and has been renovated into a good sized 20' by 12' bright, open space. A place to sit and work is not a problem as I have the choice of one of two good sized tables to use, and we have more than enough seating. The downside to this choice is that our materials will have to be kept 'someplace' - I don't know if I can find some closet space on the same level as the kitchen. If not, our materials will be on the lower level.

Next choice: In the lower level of our home, in the section that has been completely rebuilt, there is a room that will be the exercise room/media room. New lighting, freshly painted, new berber, large closet that has not been fitted with shelving yet.

I am going to move two bookcases into the media room for our school materials and wherever we school, the materials will likely be in this room.

The downside to using this room: when the construction begins on the 'great room,' we will have to walk through that area to get to our school room.

Both choices are conveniently located for bathroom breaks. My concern is that in the kitchen, ds9 will constantly want to 'snack' just b/c he is easily distracted and the kitchen-food connection will be too much for him to ignore.

The media room (lower level) has no windows (hence, media room) but is plenty bright.

I just don't know what to do -- I really need to hear the opinions of others. I think I am just exhausted as we approach the end of this episode, I am having difficulty making a decision.:confused:

I like to school in a central area. So going down into the lower level and into a room would not really work for us. I think we'd get a lot less done. I like to be able to wash a few dishes while the kids are working, or tidy up a bit. I'd do school in the kitchen. As far as materials, can you get some sort of basket to put your materials in and slide it under the kitchen table or something?

I like to school in a central area. So going down into the lower level and into a room would not really work for us. I think we'd get a lot less done. I like to be able to wash a few dishes while the kids are working, or tidy up a bit. I'd do school in the kitchen. As far as materials, can you get some sort of basket to put your materials in and slide it under the kitchen table or something?[/QUOTE]

Inclined to agree with everyone here -- and was thinking about doing 'in red' above. Thanks :001_smile:

We schooled in our kitchen before turning the dining room into the classroom. (Only a homeschooler would get that sentence:lol:). We used one cabinet to house all the school material, which were in baskets. It worked out great for us.

The no windows would be a deal breaker for me.

We schooled in our kitchen before turning the dining room into the classroom. (Only a homeschooler would get that sentence:lol:). We used one cabinet to house all the school material, which were in baskets. It worked out great for us.

The no windows would be a deal breaker for me.

Me too...... I am thinking.

The reason my kitchen is such a good size now is that we removed the wall between the kitchen and formal dining room (very small) and made one larger room. I am thinking as I read the comments here that it is a much more practical, pleasant location than the media room. I may even be able to find an armoire with space for materials.

Many thanks to you all! I feel much better about this now.1sm184runhappy.gif

I enjoy lessons at the table and keep out a bowl of fruit & nuts for snacks most days.

Back packs make school on the go or in transition easy, and a plus is each kids stuff is sorted and at their finger tips. A cute rolling wicker or other drawer cart can work for the rest.

I've kept our stuff in the dining-room hutch for years and love that once everything is stored, the room is back to normal. I even slide posters behind it along with a tri-fold board for display.

Congratulations on getting back into your home:001_smile:, I hope your move back in goes smoothly.

I choose the kitchen because I need windows...!

Mariann -

OK, so first? WOO HOO! on getting back in your house!

I'm going to dissent - I like our downstairs, windowless basement schoolroom. It really is pretty much our finished basement, but all we have it set up is for school. I like that we come downstairs, it's "school time", and then I can leave it and be. done. with. school.

Well, at least in theory. ;)

BUT - when we move again, I'll probably end up in the kitchen, and I'm fine with that, too. My dd17 does often feel the need for light, and will take her Lit or whatever upstairs. . .. .

I enjoy lessons at the table and keep out a bowl of fruit & nuts for snacks most days.

Back packs make school on the go or in transition easy, and a plus is each kids stuff is sorted and at their finger tips. A cute rolling wicker or other drawer cart can work for the rest.

I've kept our stuff in the dining-room hutch for years and love that once everything is stored, the room is back to normal. I even slide posters behind it along with a tri-fold board for display.

Congratulations on getting back into your home:001_smile:, I hope your move back in goes smoothly. Thank you -- prayers are coveted!

I choose the kitchen because I need windows...!

I've become an expert in 'on the go' - between dd29's doctor appointments, iv treatments, etc, the kids and I have become adept at 'homeschool to go.'

We are trying to tie up loose ends with the contractor (who has from the beginning been a thorn in my side -- he is our insurance company's 'preferred contractor' so we had no choice in the selection of him.) He is right now on vacation and insisting via email that his sub contractors tell him their work is finished and we can move back in. Well, I've been at the house every day for the past 9 days, and the house is not ready for us -- work is incomplete or in one instance, unacceptable. None of this is news to him, he was informed of it b4 he went on vacation. But, we received an email this morning wherein he informed us that his subs tell him everything is done. Must be a new type of construction -- 'telepathic construction.'

Sorry to rant -- I have a huge amount of work ahead of me, a fair amount of school that won't get done this week, and this individual trying to call the shots for my family and he has no idea what is happening - or he does and he doesn't care.:glare:

Mariann -

OK, so first? WOO HOO! on getting back in your house!

I'm going to dissent - I like our downstairs, windowless basement schoolroom. It really is pretty much our finished basement, but all we have it set up is for school. I like that we come downstairs, it's "school time", and then I can leave it and be. done. with. school.

Well, at least in theory. ;)

BUT - when we move again, I'll probably end up in the kitchen, and I'm fine with that, too. My dd17 does often feel the need for light, and will take her Lit or whatever upstairs. . .. .

I know - WOO HOO! After a 300 sq foot hotel suite, it will seem palatial.

Thanks for the input....b/c of the soon to begin construction on the 'great room,' I am inclined to keep us all in the kitchen so we are not tracking dust through the house. Windowless would bother me if it was dark, but the media room is incredibly well-lit. I do like the idea of done.ealk.out.of.the.room.and.close.the.door. But, I'm going to give the kitchen a try --the kids and I are going to begin bringing curric over there today. Hope things are going well with you and the recent changes at your house! :grouphug:

I would go with the more central location too. I also need windows!

I have started storing some of our most often used school books in the bottom of my china hutch. I moved the seldom used kitchen items out to a cabinet in the garage. It works for us.

Your contractor sounds like a major pain. :grouphug:

I would go with the more central location too. I also need windows!

I have started storing some of our most often used school books in the bottom of my china hutch. I moved the seldom used kitchen items out to a cabinet in the garage. It works for us.

Your contractor sounds like a major pain. :grouphug:

You are incredibly polite!

And, he is the insurance adjuster's contractor -- don't even get me started on that one. I'm saving it all for my letter to the President of our insurance company (their tv commercials are all about RESPONSIBILITY) -- I have the utmost respect for folks who do something for their paycheck --the insurance company's contractor has done nothing but send out subs to do the work. And, he has taken a 50% cut of everything! It was and is amazing to me that the $ amount of our loss (as calculated by the insurance adjuster) was EXACTLY what preferred contractor calculated the $ amount would be for repairs. And, I cannot go THERE at all because I will break a blood vessel!:cursing: And, yes, I have been calling it to the insurance adjuster's attention since the beginning. He has not responded.

Edited by MariannNOVA

I would opt for the Media Room. I like school to be in it's own area because we really spread out!

But we have a nice area in the basement that has a lot of natural light and a big table. It's also a family room so it's very homey.

I'm too far from the kitchen to much in there though. That can be good and bad. ;)