Menu

How do you teach music theory?

Guest goldcreek

Guest goldcreek

What do you use to teach music to your middle or high schooler?

I've no musical background, and I've no idea what they teach in middle or high school music class. Ds13 and dd11 have taken piano for a few years, and have been taught some theory and how to read music. They are now taking flute (dd) and guitar (ds), but I don't know what to add so they may continue with music in public HS or college, should they choose to do so. Ds has some sort of musical understanding that is deeper than the rest of the family have, but I don't know how to encourage it.

I've looked at the Teaching Company's Understanding the Fundamentals of Music, and How to Listen to and Understand Great Music, but I'm not sure if they are what I need.

The Enjoyment of Music looks like a good HS level text, but can we go straight into it in 8th? and does it have a teacher's guide with answers?

Thank you for any suggestions,

Sandra

We have used Music Ace Deluxe, a software program, when the kids were younger, and Alfred's Music Theory, when they were in elementary school. As you get more advanced, you might want to consider doing this in person in a class, since there is so much aural experience to hear and respond to, with a good teacher. Our music school devotes about 45/minutes per week on this, but even so, it is so going for us! Unfortunately, I see our kids as doing years and years of this work, all through high school...

My dds' harp professor used this in college and is having my daughter use it in high school to be able to pass basic college entrance music theory exams. I am also having my 15yo piano player use it to supplement what her teacher is giving her as well.

Scales, Intervals, Keys, Triads, Rhythm, and Meter: A Programmed Course in Elementary Music Theory, With an Introduction to Partwriting, Third Edition ... (Norton Programmed Texts in Music Theory) (Paperback)

by John Clough, Joyce Conley, and Claire Boge

It comes with a CD and is specially designed to be a programmed/self-teaching text. It starts out with the very basics and moves forward, so you could easily begin in jr. high and just take your time going through it.

Both of my girls have said it has helped them a lot with their understanding of music theory, and they are pretty advanced musicians (for high school) already.

The only thing cumbersome about it is that looonnnggg title:)