Menu

Abbreviation Sticky

admin

Here is a list of abbreviations.

If we're missing some, post them below and we can add them to the list.

:-) Smile - colon right parenthesis

:-( Frown - colon left parenthesis

:-o redfaced – colon-hyphen-small letter o

;-) wink - semi colon right parenthesis

:-D big grin - colon capital D

:-G glum - colon capital G

:-S Cool Breeze - colon capital S (On some sites it will make a smilie wearing shades)

:-P Mr. Pukie - colon capital P (and this one makes a green faced guy who looks like he's going to be ill ...)

AFAIK – As far as I know

BG -- Big Grin

ATTN – Attention

BHOK—Banging Head On Keyboard

BIL – Brother-in-law

BRB -- Be right back (Used primarily in online chats)

BTDT -- Been there, done that

BTW -- By The Way

CG—Cheeky Grin

CUL (CUL8R) -- See you later

DD/DS/DH/DW - Dear Daughter/Dear Son/Dear Husband!/Dear Wife

DK—Dear Kitty

FAQ -- Frequently Asked Questions

FCOL – For Crying Out Loud

FIL – Father-in-Law

FOCIA – Falling Off Chair In Amazement

FWIW -- For what it’s worth

FYI -- For your information

GMTA! -- Great Minds Think Alike!

HTH – Hope this helps

HYG—Here you go

IABD – I Am Beyond Dense

IABC—I Am Beyond Clueless

IMHO -- In my humble opinion

IMO -- In My Opinion

IOW – In Other Words

IRL -- In Real Life

ISP -- Internet Service Provider

ISTM – It seems to me

ITA! -- I Totally Agree!

ITRW—In The Real World

JK -- Just Kidding

JMHO -- Just My Humble Opinion

KWIM—Know What I Mean

LOL -- Lots of Laughs or Laughing Out Loud

LSHTRDMF—Laughing so hard tears rolling down my face

LSNED—Learn Something New Every Day

MIL – Mother-in-Law

NACTL – Not a Clue to Life

NAK – Nursing at Keyboard

NARS – Not A Rocket Scientist

NM—No Message

NT -- No text (especially useful in subject lines)

OIC – “Oh, I seeâ€

OT—“Off Topicâ€

OTOH -- On the other hand

PLMK—Please Let Me KNow

POV -- Point of view

RL -- Real life

ROFL -- Rolling On the Floor Laughing or ROTFL

ROFLMHO -- Rolling On the Floor Laughing My Head Off

ROFLSCOMM—Rolling On theFloor Laughing Spitting Coke On My Monitor

SIL – Sister-in-law

SO -- Significant Other

SYOTB – See You On The Boards (relating to discussion forums)

TIA -- Thanks In Advance

TPTB -- The Powers That Be

TTFN -- Ta Ta for Now

TTSP -- This Too Shall Pass

TYVM! -- Thank You Very Much!

VWP -- Very Well Put

WAGS! -- What A Great Story

WD – Well Done

WP! -- Well Put!

WS—Well Said

WTG -- Way to go

YAAG -- You Are A Genius

YMMV—Your Milage May Vary

YW – You’re Welcome

• Like 1

Hi,

I'm the person that did the last major revamp on the WTM abbreviations page (with help from Tim, of course!), but I started my own page soon thereafter because (at the time at least) Tim was unable to add new abbreviations without getting the page re-reviewed, which meant that the page was only updated infrequently. Since then, I also went through mine and added links, which I think has been very helpful for people. So, if you'd like to pull what I have into the site's page, I'm A-OK with having my page become obsolete!

p.s. I intentionally did not include generic internet abbreviations when I revamped the WTM abbreviations page because there are already *so* *many* sites which have these and there are *so* *many* abbreviations. My thinking was that the WTM page should focus on its area of expertise. YMMV, of course! ;)

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the abbreviation list. I have been homeschooling for 7 years but am new to boards and such. I recognize many abbrev. but still cannot figure out what TOW is! :confused:

Thanks,

Alisa

Was it used as a home schooling term or can you tell from the context? Next time that you see it, ask the person who used it what it means -- I don't think anyone has been anything but kind about answering that type of question here.

And then let me know what they said and if there is an associated web site. ;)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have changed internet service providers; the new address for my abbreviations page is 

Hi,

I'm the person that did the last major revamp on the WTM abbreviations page (with help from Tim, of course!), but I started my own page soon thereafter because (at the time at least) Tim was unable to add new abbreviations without getting the page re-reviewed, which meant that the page was only updated infrequently. Since then, I also went through mine and added links, which I think has been very helpful for people. So, if you'd like to pull what I have into the site's page, I'm A-OK with having my page become obsolete!

p.s. I intentionally did not include generic internet abbreviations when I revamped the WTM abbreviations page because there are already *so* *many* sites which have these and there are *so* *many* abbreviations. My thinking was that the WTM page should focus on its area of expertise. YMMV, of course! ;)

• 3 months later...

Okay people, hook a newbie up......what does the ds or dd stand for next to your kids ages......i couldn't find anything on this in the "sticky

for abbrev." perhaps the obvious is too obvious or shockingly as a newbie I am on information overload.....someone out there throw me a bone!!!! Thanks, Deb:drool:

Okay people, hook a newbie up......what does the ds or dd stand for next to your kids ages......i couldn't find anything on this in the "sticky

for abbrev." perhaps the obvious is too obvious or shockingly as a newbie I am on information overload.....someone out there throw me a bone!!!! Thanks, Deb:drool:

These abbreviations (dear son, dear daughter, dear husband) are general internet abbreviations, so they are not included in the home school abbreviations list. I searched several of the sites given in the Internet Abbreviations list and was a little surprised to find that these particular abbreviations did not rank very high on several of the sites. I might need to re-order the list on my page to give preference to the non-technical sites.

HTH (hope this helps),

Debbie

:cheers2:

I keep reading about people using this and want to know what it is. No luck finding it here. :001_huh:

Could it be Writing With Ease? It shows up on the forums and on a review from SWB. If anyone can give me a brief description and (optionally) a webpage, I'd be glad to add it to my abbreviations page.

• 2 months later...

i was just reading a thread about the SOTW reading list for ancients/1st grade, and an AG was mentioned a few times... having to do w/ the local library perhaps? does anyone know what AG refers to in this context? thanks!

From Homeschool Abbreviations with Links:

AG "Analytical Grammar" or "activity guide"

Given the context, probably "activity guide", as in the SOTW activity guide that is available.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Can anyone let me know what it means on the "for sale" forum when theres an empty page that says "bump"? Does it mean someone has sent them a message that isn't shown?

Please let me know if you find out, and I'll add it to my abbreviations page.

Thanks,

Debbie

Its when someone bumps their post to the top of the page, I think. How its done, I haven't a clue. Any one know what MOH is?

Thanks! I added an entry for "bump". "MOH" was already there; it's HTML clipboard"Mystery of History," published by Bright Ideas Press. See Homeschool Abbreviations with Links for more abbreviations.

Obligatory smiley for my squeakers: :cool:

What does s/o mean? I keep seeing it in thread titles and just can't for the life of me figure it out.

I didn't see anything from the standard internet abbreviations that made sense. Maybe you could ask the next time that you see it used? If you find out, please post it here, and I'll add it to my abbreviations page.

Guest BirdDog
What does s/o mean? I keep seeing it in thread titles and just can't for the life of me figure it out.clear.gif

From what I've researched, s/o stands for either significant other or sellers option.

I can't seem to find what those are on the abbreviations...

Home school curriculum published by Heart of Dakota:

HTML clipboardLittle Hands to Heaven

Little Hearts for His Glory

Beyond Little Hearts for His Glory

Bigger Hearts for His Glory

Preparing Hearts for His Glory

Hearts for Him Through Time

Drawn Into the Heart of Reading

I had "Drawn Into the Heart of Reading" and have added the others.