Menu

Angie, Yes, I've used Prima and LC I. LC I, didn't have quite enough to cement the concepts. Granted we are only on lesson 1:D, but we've thoroughly been using our knowledge and putting it to use. I agree with the Previous Poster, that it's not flashy, but very solid. HTH! Are there other things you want to know?

No DVDs this time. We did them for LC I and we all just hated them. She took so much time explaining things that we could do in a much shorter time span. I'm so glad we're not using them this time. I'm working ahead of them in the lesson so that I know what they need and I understand it too. HTH!

My dd is currently doing LC1 and I was 99% sure I was going to move her onto Latin Prep. Now you're putting doubts in my mind!! :)

Are you using the DVDs?

I don't mean to enhance your doubts but I've used LP and now I'm using FF. We are only a few weeks in but I think FF is much clearer and easier to use. LP is a bit flasher with it's stories but the explanations and review is better in FF.

I was afraid the review would bother my dd. She catches on to things quickly and tends to get crabby when she's repeating things too much but it hasn't been a problem and she's doing well with it.

Heather

There's definately more practice with FF. Lesson 1 had five pages in the workbook, plus a quiz. Lesson 2 had six pages in the workbook, plus a quiz....that's as far as we have gotten. My son does 1-2 pages a day, I schedule to finish it a lesson a week. So I definately think it's getting "set" in his mind. I even let the quizzes be "open book" as I would rather he look for the correct answer than guess with the wrong one....and he didn't even need to use the book for the quizzes...he just knew it!

There's definately more practice with FF. Lesson 1 had five pages in the workbook, plus a quiz. Lesson 2 had six pages in the workbook, plus a quiz....that's as far as we have gotten. My son does 1-2 pages a day, I schedule to finish it a lesson a week. So I definately think it's getting "set" in his mind. I even let the quizzes be "open book" as I would rather he look for the correct answer than guess with the wrong one....and he didn't even need to use the book for the quizzes...he just knew it!

:iagree:

We are just working through lesson 1, but I LOVE it! I seems to make sure you KNOW your work before you move on!!

My 11yo is about half way through, and we both LOVE the program (even though I'm way behind, lol).

It's very thorough, very clear... many would say very dry, but that works well for us in this case! Ds is looking forward to Second Form.

I don't mean to enhance your doubts but I've used LP and now I'm using FF. We are only a few weeks in but I think FF is much clearer and easier to use. LP is a bit flasher with it's stories but the explanations and review is better in FF.

I was afraid the review would bother my dd. She catches on to things quickly and tends to get crabby when she's repeating things too much but it hasn't been a problem and she's doing well with it.

Heather

I appreciate you sharing your experience! It's nice to hear that FF has MORE review than another program! :)

Are you using the FF DVDs? I read that it's a different person teaching the DVDs than in LC and that the lessons are much shorter, so I'm still considering them since I have NO latin background.

I see in your sig that your dd is also using Cambridge along with FF. Why are you doing this? Do you have trouble having time for both programs?

TIA for answering all my questions! I have so many curriculum decisions to make for next year as my 1st dc enters the logic stage :)

Yep I agree with the others. There is so much more review than LC I. I too thought it was lacking and added in Ludere Latine to add more review, but it was things you had to look up all the time, whereas this is drilling what you should know and helps make it so much clearer in their minds.

I appreciate you sharing your experience! It's nice to hear that FF has MORE review than another program! :)

Are you using the FF DVDs? I read that it's a different person teaching the DVDs than in LC and that the lessons are much shorter, so I'm still considering them since I have NO latin background.

I see in your sig that your dd is also using Cambridge along with FF. Why are you doing this? Do you have trouble having time for both programs?

TIA for answering all my questions! I have so many curriculum decisions to make for next year as my 1st dc enters the logic stage :)

I am not using the DVDs. My dd really despises DVD teaching and honestly I think it's clear enough in the text and TM for them to be unnecessary. But I do have some Latin experience and I have my oldest dd who has taken Latin for several years as a backup should I need help. What I would do in your case is if you decide to do FF, get it at least a few weeks before you plan to start. Start readings some of the lessons. Do you understand? If so, you'll be fine. If not - order the DVDs. I think there is a sample of them on the Memoria Press website.

I use Cambridge because I like more translation. Latin is a major subject for us - meaning, along with Math and Classical Writing, it composes the largest chunk of our day. So I expect Latin to take time. My dd enjoys the translations. The book we are in is rather easy for her so it's mostly practice rather than additional hard learning. FF doesn't "need" more. But it is a grammar-focused curriculum. So we just add some translation to round it out and expand the vocabulary. It is not because we see a weakness in FF.

Heather

So what is the difference between First Form and Prima Latina? My ds is doing PL this year... wondering where to put him next?

First Form is for upper elementary and jr high. Prima is more for 2nd and 3rd graders. FF moves rather quickly and Prima moves at a pace more appropriate for younger children.

Heather

First Form is for upper elementary and jr high. Prima is more for 2nd and 3rd graders. FF moves rather quickly and Prima moves at a pace more appropriate for younger children.

Heather

Ds (he's 8) and I (I'm old enough:D) are on lesson 7 in LCI, is FF latin the next step for us or do you think we should go to LCII?

Thanks.

I am not using the DVDs. My dd really despises DVD teaching and honestly I think it's clear enough in the text and TM for them to be unnecessary. But I do have some Latin experience and I have my oldest dd who has taken Latin for several years as a backup should I need help. What I would do in your case is if you decide to do FF, get it at least a few weeks before you plan to start. Start readings some of the lessons. Do you understand? If so, you'll be fine. If not - order the DVDs. I think there is a sample of them on the Memoria Press website.

I use Cambridge because I like more translation. Latin is a major subject for us - meaning, along with Math and Classical Writing, it composes the largest chunk of our day. So I expect Latin to take time. My dd enjoys the translations. The book we are in is rather easy for her so it's mostly practice rather than additional hard learning. FF doesn't "need" more. But it is a grammar-focused curriculum. So we just add some translation to round it out and expand the vocabulary. It is not because we see a weakness in FF.

Heather

Heather,

You have piqued my interest.

I plan to move to Cambridge, but wanted to do a grammar based program with it. Right now we are doing Lively Latin, but as much as I adore the program I am not keeping ahead of my dd, so now the errors in the answer keys are becoming a problem where they weren't before when I was working ahead. I have been considering Latin Prep, but am worried about the amount of translation it work it has (given I hear it has more than the average grammar program) combined with Cambridge.

Are you using both at the same time or with different children? How much translation is there in FF? What pronunciation is FF (I prefer classical because we don't go to a church that would ever use it)?

I appreciate your help!

Siloam

Just wanted to say that we are using the FF DVD's and enjoying it very much. The guy is entertaining and a great teacher. He explains things very clearly. I am soooo glad we decided to use the DVD's...and yes, the lessons are short.

Oh, I need the dvds:D. I'm glad the teacher is entertaining. Wow, now I'm getting excited.

Just wanted to say that we are using the FF DVD's and enjoying it very much. The guy is entertaining and a great teacher. He explains things very clearly. I am soooo glad we decided to use the DVD's...and yes, the lessons are short.

That is SOOO good to hear! I prefer having DVDs that we all can learn from but we have not been pleased with the LC I dvds due to their length.

Thanks,

Angela

Heather,

You have piqued my interest.

I plan to move to Cambridge, but wanted to do a grammar based program with it. Right now we are doing Lively Latin, but as much as I adore the program I am not keeping ahead of my dd, so now the errors in the answer keys are becoming a problem where they weren't before when I was working ahead. I have been considering Latin Prep, but am worried about the amount of translation it work it has (given I hear it has more than the average grammar program) combined with Cambridge.

Are you using both at the same time or with different children? How much translation is there in FF? What pronunciation is FF (I prefer classical because we don't go to a church that would ever use it)?

I appreciate your help!

Siloam

I use them with the same student. We aren't finding it too much but we do expect to spend time on Latin. We have always used classical pronunciation and FF is ecclesiastical. We just take about the differences. I don't focus a lot on pronunciation so this hasn't been a problem for us. I think that's probably a reaction to my 6th grade Latin teacher. He was really obnoxious and used to tell us to make sure we could pronounce everything just right in case we ever met an Ancient Roman. He thought that was funny. Anyway - the difference hasn't been a problem for us.

The way FF is set up, the heaviest day is the first day. I give the lesson from the text, introduce the vocabulary and do the first worksheet. We don't use Cambridge that day. The remainder of the week she practices vocabulary, does a worksheet and does translation from Cambridge. Then there is a quiz each week for FF. There isn't much translation in FF.

We haven't been doing this combo very long but it's going very well. The Cambridge book we are doing is easy for her so it's just nice practice.

Heather

I use them with the same student. We aren't finding it too much but we do expect to spend time on Latin. We have always used classical pronunciation and FF is ecclesiastical. We just take about the differences. I don't focus a lot on pronunciation so this hasn't been a problem for us. I think that's probably a reaction to my 6th grade Latin teacher. He was really obnoxious and used to tell us to make sure we could pronounce everything just right in case we ever met an Ancient Roman. He thought that was funny. Anyway - the difference hasn't been a problem for us.

The way FF is set up, the heaviest day is the first day. I give the lesson from the text, introduce the vocabulary and do the first worksheet. We don't use Cambridge that day. The remainder of the week she practices vocabulary, does a worksheet and does translation from Cambridge. Then there is a quiz each week for FF. There isn't much translation in FF.

We haven't been doing this combo very long but it's going very well. The Cambridge book we are doing is easy for her so it's just nice practice.

Heather

Wow that might really work better. I took a look at the samples and like what I see. It makes sense. The samples of Latin Prep have never clicked with me. They seem so busy, and I don't instantly get the layout like I do with FF Latin.

Heather

Wow that might really work better. I took a look at the samples and like what I see. It makes sense. The samples of Latin Prep have never clicked with me. They seem so busy, and I don't instantly get the layout like I do with FF Latin.

Heather

I forgot to mention that I used Latin Prep with my oldest for a year. I really didn't like it. It's not like she didn't learn. She did. But she didn't really grasp the material the way it needs to be. She could do the exercises but it didn't stick long term. We haven't been doing FF long enough for me to know for sure but it has a different approach and really seems to be set up for understanding.

'the other' Heather

Siloam, I think the differences you're seeing and the way you're gravitating toward FF are good signs to go that way. I'm using Latin Prep, and like it a lot so far, but I'm actually teaching it. I have dd making a language notebook, recording things into charts, reviewing, discussing, etc. I think FF is brilliant for the way it spells everything out. My dd was ready for more translation, and we were just ready for a change from MP stuff. It seems to me, just in looking at the online samples, that FF is really idiot-proof. Everything is spelled out, practiced, etc. as it should be. Latin Prep isn't nearly so foolproof.

Jan in SC- I have no Latin background and found FF difficult to use for a first-time Latin student. It jumps in quickly; the explanations of new concepts are brief and and assume prior Latin exposure.

Sarah

I'm going to do latin next year and we have had NO exposure yet. My dd will be in 5th grade. It sounds like FF is not going to be a good fit, and I am not so sure about LC 1. Does it see, like I could do something like LfC, and then move into FF? Not meaning to hijack the thread, just wondering where you would start a brand new 10 year old and her brand new (to Latin) mom.:bigear:

I'm going to do latin next year and we have had NO exposure yet. My dd will be in 5th grade. It sounds like FF is not going to be a good fit, and I am not so sure about LC 1. Does it see, like I could do something like LfC, and then move into FF? Not meaning to hijack the thread, just wondering where you would start a brand new 10 year old and her brand new (to Latin) mom.:bigear:

I think at your dd's age they would have you start with FF, but I'm not sure. One poster did say that FF assumes some prior Latin exposure (LCI), so maybe I'm wrong. There is a chart in the most recent catalog and also if you call them, they'd be glad to answer your questions.

I think at your dd's age they would have you start with FF, but I'm not sure. One poster did say that FF assumes some prior Latin exposure (LCI), so maybe I'm wrong. There is a chart in the most recent catalog and also if you call them, they'd be glad to answer your questions.

Personally, I don't think it's so much prior *Latin knowledge that's needed, but I imagine it would be helpful for the parent to have some experience learning a second language, and the child should have a solid grasp on English grammar and a decent vocabulary.

FF gives the English translation for every single Latin word and breaks down each conjugation. I haven't given a good look at the nouns, but I assume they're demonstrated the same way.

OhElizabeth, I disagree that it's idiot-proof.:D I wish it was then it'd be easy to teach. I've been staying one lesson ahead of the children.

I love that it really makes them 'get it', we've did LC I and I while I liked it, I never felt like there was enough to make sure they completely understood the process of what they're doing. Some parts can look busy, but it's trying to show them 'why' they're doing what they're doing.

Siloam, If you're gravitating towards it, go for it!

Amy, if you are still open to LC1, I have my stuff for it for sale on the sale/swap board. You might not find it as bad as you think. We did it through a co-op class, along with part of LC2, and it created a VERY solid foundation.

Heather

I agree with you on this. We used LPI with my older son last year. We got about 1/2 way through the first book and it just fell apart. We hit a wall, struggled, then decided to put it down for awhile. Started from the beginning, hit the SAME spot in the wall and I started looking for something else.

In the beginning he loved the stories about killing natives with spears, but the way it was presented in LP just was not clear to him.

We've only been using FFfor 2 weeks now but when we started it, I explained the tenses of the present system to him (present, imperfect, future) with their respective endings (the -ba- and -bi- for imperfect, future) were INSTANTLY made clear to him. I got a big "OH!" out of him. LP just didn't do that for him.

I expect the rest of the material to be just as clear and we'll be sticking with Second Form next year too.

Some of us IDIOTS may need something like FF; hats off to those that don't. Maybe some of our problem was me having no prior language exposure other than PL and LCI.

Oh Penny, you're too funny! Well if I end up changing, then so be it. Maybe we'll hit the same wall with Latin Prep you did. I liked the samples of the FF video a lot, thought the guy was very clear, even if my 10 yo dd (note the slight sarcasm) didn't. We'll just have to see what happens. FF was definitely my other option. I went with LP, and I'm hoping it pans out for us.

We're working out way through FF and it's going very well so far. It's all review for us right now because we've done LFC A and B but the review is a good thing; we needed it. I was waffling for a brief time, considering LP but I've decided to stick where we are since it's working and just add in some translating from other sources. We'll only jump ship now if Memoria can't get the next levels out in time for us. DD10 did not want to use the DVDs because they slow us down and make quick lessons take longer. Maybe we'll want them in later levels but right now we're fine without them.

Carolyn

Siloam, I think the differences you're seeing and the way you're gravitating toward FF are good signs to go that way. I'm using Latin Prep, and like it a lot so far, but I'm actually teaching it. I have dd making a language notebook, recording things into charts, reviewing, discussing, etc. I think FF is brilliant for the way it spells everything out. My dd was ready for more translation, and we were just ready for a change from MP stuff. It seems to me, just in looking at the online samples, that FF is really idiot-proof. Everything is spelled out, practiced, etc. as it should be. Latin Prep isn't nearly so foolproof.

Thanks Elizabeth!

At this point I am pretty sold. The biggest thing holding me back from doing LP was actually the amount of translations. It just sounds like too much to do both Cambridge and LP (especially for me, never mind Sweet Pea :D ). But now hearing that FF is also clearer, make it even more appealing. With everything going I need to be able to get behind on my own "studies" now and then and have the tools to allow my dd to easily continue to move ahead without me.

Heather

Some of us IDIOTS may need something like FF; hats off to those that don't. Maybe some of our problem was me having no prior language exposure other than PL and LCI.

Ok I had to laugh at that.

I honestly don't think there isn't anything I can't figure out given enough time and desire, but the problem is I don't have the time anymore. I need something that clicks, not something I have to work at. Not that I will stop working ahead of my dd, but I don't need to have to figure out the program as well as the Latin, KWIM? Plain and simple, sounds beautiful to me.

And if it makes you feel better I have years of other languages under my belt and have done Lively Latin 1.

:D

Heather

• 2 years later...

My 10yo is just starting FF. I'm kind of lost and overwhelmed trying to read through all of it. I got the whole package: dvd'd, pronunciation cd, flash cards, etc. I think the problem is that I haven't had a quiet minute to read through it all carefully. I have read it (while trying to keep my preschooler quiet)

What is your general routine? Such as: do you begin with the student reading lesson in student text. Follow that by watching instructor video? Then recitation? When do you listen to the audio cd? How do you generally organize the worksheets? Each lesson has a lot. I know it would be too much for one sitting for my daughter.

I know these things will vary by family but I guess I'm looking for some ideas. Latin is intimidating for me (not for my 10yo though).

Thanks!!

My 10yo is just starting FF. I'm kind of lost and overwhelmed trying to read through all of it. I got the whole package: dvd'd, pronunciation cd, flash cards, etc. I think the problem is that I haven't had a quiet minute to read through it all carefully. I have read it (while trying to keep my preschooler quiet)

What is your general routine? Such as: do you begin with the student reading lesson in student text. Follow that by watching instructor video? Then recitation? When do you listen to the audio cd? How do you generally organize the worksheets? Each lesson has a lot. I know it would be too much for one sitting for my daughter.

I know these things will vary by family but I guess I'm looking for some ideas. Latin is intimidating for me (not for my 10yo though).

Thanks!!

My 11 y/o started FF last year and is finishing up this year. He had 2 years of Latin prior (Prima Latina and Latina Christiana I) so realize where he's coming from. He is also very independent.

Day One: Watch DVD. Study the lesson in the book.

Day Two-? Do a worksheet.

Now, my dd10 is not so independent. She's taking a break from Latin to conquer some things in math. She's finishing up LC1, but will move onto FF after that. Here's my plan for her:

Day One: Watch DVD with Mom (She does much better if I'm watching with her otherwise she can't remember what she watched.)

Day Two: Worksheet 1

Day Three: Review with CD and Worksheet 2

Day four: Worksheet 3

Day five: Review with CD, worksheet 4

continue until worksheets are done

If there seems to be too much writing in one sitting, I would suggest doing half, taking a break and doing something else and then coming back to the second half.

Heather

Do younhave a link to the Cambrdge? I am trying to figure out what to do with my 7year old who will be finished LL 1. I was debating FF but you say it doesnt have a lot of translation, which is important to us. How does Cambridge differ from Henle?

Thanks for the ideas.

I feel a little better today.

She worked through lesson 1 and got some of the worksheets done without a problem. (she had read the lesson and watched to DVD last week but it all seemed so confusing). She will finish the last two lessons tomorrow.

I am not sure exactly how I'll proceed. Probably have her read the text book first and then look at the DVD.

What do you do with the derivatives?

When do you use the flash cards?