Menu

Bible and/or literature analysis--Chicago

Harriet Vane

My areas of strength are literary analysis and Bible analysis.

I have taught a seminar on analyzing poetry--in this seminar we discussed how-to in general, including scanning poetry for rhyme and meter, and how to apply the principles to various ages from small children to teens.

I teach literature to a group of high schoolers. I would enjoy teaching a simple seminar on analyzing literature.

I teach seminars on inductive Bible study--as it applies to small children, junior-high-aged children, high schoolers, or the method in general for adults or teens. I have posted about this quite a bit on this board. I also teach teachers how to apply inductive method to church curriculum.

I also like teaching people how to write their own Bible studies or formulate their own Bible lessons.

For junior high or high school teaching, I would dearly love to show more people how to lead their children to make a notebook similar to one my daughter made in a group class I taught. We took one semester to analyze a short book of the Bible (so two books of the Bible in the course of the year). This included marking the text similarly to what Precepts teaches and generating notes from the text, as well as writing Bible study questions, character descriptions, outlines, application ideas for group teaching, key verse, commentary reports, maps, key word studies, and timelines. This is one of the very best Bible study classes I have given my daughter--she loved interacting with the text this way and learned wonderful Bible study methods that will last her the rest of her life, and come in particularly handy for high school work.

One further thought--I have found many parents bewildered about how to analyze their child's writing quality. I separate the process to four levels: layout mechanics (appearance of the paper and technical points), writing mechanics (grammar, punctuation, spelling, etc.), thesis (whether or not the information provided fulfills the assignment, and how thoroughly), and writing (quality of the writing itself--smooth, stilted, descriptive, appropriate tone, etc.). I think a seminar explaining this would be helpful.

I am not a "professional" by any stretch but do enjoy teaching a great deal. There have been many more experienced homeschoolers who have helped me along the way--I enjoy giving back to the homeschool and/or church community as I am able.

• 8 months later...
My areas of strength are literary analysis and Bible analysis.

I have taught a seminar on analyzing poetry--in this seminar we discussed how-to in general, including scanning poetry for rhyme and meter, and how to apply the principles to various ages from small children to teens.

I teach literature to a group of high schoolers. I would enjoy teaching a simple seminar on analyzing literature.

I teach seminars on inductive Bible study--as it applies to small children, junior-high-aged children, high schoolers, or the method in general for adults or teens. I have posted about this quite a bit on this board. I also teach teachers how to apply inductive method to church curriculum.

I also like teaching people how to write their own Bible studies or formulate their own Bible lessons.

For junior high or high school teaching, I would dearly love to show more people how to lead their children to make a notebook similar to one my daughter made in a group class I taught. We took one semester to analyze a short book of the Bible (so two books of the Bible in the course of the year). This included marking the text similarly to what Precepts teaches and generating notes from the text, as well as writing Bible study questions, character descriptions, outlines, application ideas for group teaching, key verse, commentary reports, maps, key word studies, and timelines. This is one of the very best Bible study classes I have given my daughter--she loved interacting with the text this way and learned wonderful Bible study methods that will last her the rest of her life, and come in particularly handy for high school work.

One further thought--I have found many parents bewildered about how to analyze their child's writing quality. I separate the process to four levels: layout mechanics (appearance of the paper and technical points), writing mechanics (grammar, punctuation, spelling, etc.), thesis (whether or not the information provided fulfills the assignment, and how thoroughly), and writing (quality of the writing itself--smooth, stilted, descriptive, appropriate tone, etc.). I think a seminar explaining this would be helpful.

I am not a "professional" by any stretch but do enjoy teaching a great deal. There have been many more experienced homeschoolers who have helped me along the way--I enjoy giving back to the homeschool and/or church community as I am able.

thanks a lot for this post!

`