Menu

Has anyone used Movies as Literature?

Well, I haven't actually used it yet, but I own it. I'm planning to use it this summer as an elective course with my youngest dd. We will try to do half of the movies this summer and title the course Movies as Literature I and she'll receive 1/2 a credit. Next summer we'll do the other half and call it Movies as Literature II for another 1/2 credit.

Do you have a copy? The author gives a really good schedule of what should happen each day, and she schedules each movie study for 2 weeks. Doing it with only one child I think we can make it work in one week per movie, especially since it's a summer course and we'll have more than 1hr. per day to spend on it.

It looks like a lot of fun, and it also covers a lot of literary terms and analysis. More than any other program we've seen or used. We use Lighting Literature for the regular school year English Lit.

I think this will fill in any gaps in a fun way, and be a good elective course for her transcript.

When we got this study, I finally had an excuse to join the blockbuster online movie service. We found that we would need to keep the movies for an extended period of time, so we found the movie service helpful here. While most of the movies were available from the library, we couldn't seem to coordinate the timing of when they were available and how long we could keep them.

The movie selection was really good. We enjoyed all of the movies we watched.

I did it with two girls 13 and 15. Sometimes, they were not able to answer some of the discussion questions and we needed the teacher's guide to help us know what the author was looking for. Other times, the girls were able to create very detailed and extensive analysis of some characteristics.

I think this study really helped their literary analysis skills in a fun way. Both of my daughters are interested in film production - one as a career, the other as a hobby so this study was very enjoyable for them.

The reason we didn't finish the study had to do with time. With two busy girls, we had more trouble than I thought we would have finding time to watch the movie multiple times. We kept putting it off because one student wasn't available when the other was and before we knew it, more than a month had gone by and we weren't finished. With only one student, you probably won't have this issue.