Menu

What type of questions will they ask in the Honors College interview?

April Walker

My daughter has an interview with the Honors College at Texas A&M Commerce next week. She is 16, and she will be graduating high school this year. She will have 22 college credits from dual-credit enrollment, which we have been advised to minimize due to the Honors College requirement of entering as a freshman.

She is a nervous wreck. What types of questions are they likely to ask her? Any tips or advice?

Here are a couple of links with some typical admission interview questions:

College Interview Questions

College Interview Questions – What to Expect

One additional question that my daughter was asked was about why she was homeschooling. She was also asked some questions about what homeschooling was like, etc. It's worth giving some thought to this question. My suggestion is not to denigrate the public school as it's quite likely the interviewer attended a public school. Also, don't denigrate the educational establishment since college is also a part of that establishment! I'd just speak positively to what homeschooling has offered her.

Regards,

Kareni

DS has been acepted at 9 colleges so far - all but one (which simply has not made any awards yet) have given decent to large merit awards. The few where ds has met face-to-face with an admission person, he went in with a list of questions and a pen. One admission counselor later said ds was one of the very few kids to have questions to ask, and it was impressive.

So - make sure your student has a decent list of questions to ASK, questions that show her interest in the program/school.

Oh yes, my dd has also gone in with her own questions. She has been asked personal questions about homeschooling, how she felt it prepared her or may hinder her in her college years, pros and cons, analyzing herself and what she feels *she* can contribute to their program, long term goals...beyond college.

Guest mommakat

Greeting to all. My 16 year olf homeschooled daughter was accepted into TAMU Commerce's Honors College last month, to begin in the fall of 2010. She currently has 40+ hours of dual credit and clep classes. I wouldn't worry about the number of hours or the homeschool issue.