Menu

Would you use a "for dummies"book as a textbook?

I'm considering doing this with Am. History, U.S. government, or world geography next year. These books seem to teach just what we should all know. I would like to find something not-so-intense for these subjects in the coming years because ds really needs to be able to focus on the subjects he struggles with like language arts and Spanish (a priority at our house). He will also be taking Chemistry next year and I think that will be pretty time consuming. I'm a little reluctant to use the dummies books because of the way they are written-short sentences, short paragraphs, bulleted lists, etc.-just to give people the information. I realize that's the whole point. But am I short-changing ds if I go that route? We will still be focusing on some pretty tough academics and he is not too academically inclined.

We referenced a Visual Basic Dummies book when my girls were taking a programming class this fall. It has some of the best ratings on Amazon so we went with it. I hate the name of these books and I personally think they did themselves a disservice from a marketing perspective but the content of the book was spot on for our needs.