Menu

American History

mom31257

For a 12 yo or 6 yo?

For the 6 yo, you could use Abeka4, CSOA, Eggleston (multiple levels of this available), Rainbow Book of American History, etc. For the 12 yo... would he be ready to read through Hakim in a year? SL100 does this.

Whats CSOA?

If possible I would like to do them together, or least have them on the same schedule so we can do some projects together. My 12 yo (going into 8th next year) is an excellent reader, so she would need lots of good books to read at middle or high school level. I actually have CSOA, but it seemed to easy for her. I could definitely read it with my going to be 2nd grader.

I was just hoping to find one of those great guides that has suggested book for different ages, lesson plans, project ideas, etc. I looked at the Atner Guide but there are not any samples online that I could find. Does anyone know where I could see some? It does say it is for 3rd-8th which is good since mine are 2nd & 8th.

I'm not familiar with Sonlight's methods or the Hakim series. How long is it? What is the grade level it is designed for?

I looked at the Atner Guide but there are not any samples online that I could find. Does anyone know where I could see some? It does say it is for 3rd-8th which is good since mine are 2nd & 8th.

There is a link under the pic. of the book. Here:D

I don't know how much different this might be from Truthquest History, but I have just ordered a copy.

Well I looked at your blog and saw you're using Kingfisher this year. How is that working out for you? Are you doign the two of them together with that? Then you could employ the same methodology on into american. You could use the DK Children's Encyclopedia of American History as your spine and then depart with each reading on their level. That's really a bit light for your dd, so she'd probably need a more solid spine like Hakim, AAH, a BJU text, or SOMETHING to bring it up. And really, at that point you're going to be whacking yourself and wondering why you aren't doing them separately. I don't see the trouble. Plan some activities together, but let each have their own spine. She's going to read, write, and do much more academic stuff with her history than he is. I was just looking at some activity books in the Teacher Created Resources catalog that I thought would be PERFECT for when my ds gets to that age. I was thinking I'd use them with the Rainbow Book of American History or Eggleston or Abeka 4. Any of those spines plus these activity books would give the perfect amount of content and output for that age. They're U.S. History Little Books. The come on Famouse Events and Famous People. They'd be just right for that age with a nice spine. I think CSOA is a bit much of a spine for that age, and it's not enough for an 8th grader, as you say. By giving them separate spines you'd make it easier on yourself and let him have some of the delightful stuff written for his age. Why drag him through an encyclopedia if he can do the Rainbow Book or Eggleston? AO also lists some really great spines that would work for that age (TCOO, etc.). I'd break them up for the actual teaching. He might prefer to play his history and do some light crafts, where she could do less but more involved projects from http://www.enrichment4you.com/ He could probably tag along with those.

My dd and I are REALLY enjoying Sonlight Core 3+4. It has a lot of reading and we've really loved the books. I have my dd write a summary about what we read from the spine each day. I heard some negative cooments about the Landmark spine being "boring," but we've really enjoyed it. It contains stories that you don't find in a typical text.

Well I looked at your blog and saw you're using Kingfisher this year. How is that working out for you? Are you doign the two of them together with that? Then you could employ the same methodology on into american. You could use the DK Children's Encyclopedia of American History as your spine and then depart with each reading on their level. That's really a bit light for your dd, so she'd probably need a more solid spine like Hakim, AAH, a BJU text, or SOMETHING to bring it up. And really, at that point you're going to be whacking yourself and wondering why you aren't doing them separately. I don't see the trouble. Plan some activities together, but let each have their own spine. She's going to read, write, and do much more academic stuff with her history than he is. I was just looking at some activity books in the Teacher Created Resources catalog that I thought would be PERFECT for when my ds gets to that age. I was thinking I'd use them with the Rainbow Book of American History or Eggleston or Abeka 4. Any of those spines plus these activity books would give the perfect amount of content and output for that age. They're U.S. History Little Books. The come on Famouse Events and Famous People. They'd be just right for that age with a nice spine. I think CSOA is a bit much of a spine for that age, and it's not enough for an 8th grader, as you say. By giving them separate spines you'd make it easier on yourself and let him have some of the delightful stuff written for his age. Why drag him through an encyclopedia if he can do the Rainbow Book or Eggleston? AO also lists some really great spines that would work for that age (TCOO, etc.). I'd break them up for the actual teaching. He might prefer to play his history and do some light crafts, where she could do less but more involved projects from http://www.enrichment4you.com/ He could probably tag along with those.

We started using Kingfisher not long before Christmas because the BJU 7th text she had was not chronological. She likes the Kingfisher as far as reading goes, but she has not liked the outlining, note-taking, notebook pages, etc. this year with either spine. What is AAH? The Hakim series looks pricey, so I don't know if it is an option until I know if some of my curricula will sell that I'm not going to keep. What type of worldview is Hakim and AAH?

I use the Usborne Encyclopedia with ds and have him study some of the same topics as his sister. He really enjoys non-fiction so it is working with him. While she is reading 10 pages or more a week in Kingfisher, I'm reading about 4 with him. I have him doing some simple notebooking pages. I ask him questions, then I do the writing. He draws some, reluctantly, but I do that with him some as well.

Even though, I know they shouldn't probably use the same spine, I was hoping there was something out there with suggestions for multiple ages, even if it was different books.

Thanks for all the help and suggesions!

We're doing a combination of Sonlight's Core 100 and Sonlights Core 3+4 for my two kids this year. They are both using the Hakim series for a spine. We check them out from the library. Each one is used for about 3 weeks and sometimes I have to recheck once. Its been a great money saver. Then my oldest reads the Core 100 books (both history and lit) and my youngest reads the Core 3+4 books and I read aloud the 3+4 read alouds to both of them. It has been such an awesome year! My kids have loved it. We've added in a bit of US geography especially for the youngest who hadn't learned her states/capitals yet. For older ds we added in Lightning lit because believe it or not, he out-reads sonlight. He doesn't do all the writing assignments from Core 100. He does some of them, other times I save the lit analysis for Lightning Lit where there is more handholding.

I'd be glad to answer any specific questions if you have any.

I can't remember where I came across this curriculum, but it's a full course of American History based on different age groups. It looks promising and I plan on trying out the Elementary Lessons for K/1st grade. It's also free.

http://americanheritage.org/k-12_lessons.html

The lessons are well organized.

Sincerely,

Cindy

Edited by CindyPTN
Forgot---It's Free

Well since you have a good working routine with history encyclopedias already, I'd look for some for American. We're using the DK Children's Encyclopedia of American History. There are probably more and at various levels.

Hakim is liberal and would need pruning, guidance, or discussion. Sometimes it's spin, sometimes it's what it includes, sometimes it's what it doesn't include.