Menu

SOS Spanish 1 troubles and supplement ideas needed

We are stuggling a bit with SOS Spanish 1. My son is asking for more Henle like Spanish. He has only gotten through the first Unit, which I didn’t realize until today is only 1/10th of the way through. Is there any way we can redeem this for a Spanish 1 credit? We will work into the summer.

I guess 2 specific questions

1) I think Jean said that SOS Spanish 1 and part of 2 could be 2 years of high school Spanish. Jean, if you are reading, or anyone else, how far should we aim to get in Spanish 1 to count it as a year?

2) He is asking for written practice. Do you have a supplement recommendation? He has been through Henle Latin 1 and 2 (2 not as well) and likes that approach (now that he isn’t having to do it :))

3) Part of the problem is that I had planned to learn it with him, but haven’t had time. I should have more time this semester and hope to catch up with him.

Thanks,

Kendall

1) I think Jean said that SOS Spanish 1 and part of 2 could be 2 years of high school Spanish. Jean, if you are reading, or anyone else, how far should we aim to get in Spanish 1 to count it as a year?

This might help:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95377

My ds is using Secondary this year and is slipping through it very easily. Don't know how far your ds is in the program, though, and if it would be worth going back; I wish my 2nd child could have used secondary! It would have helped him. My dd didn't need it, though.

2. He is asking for written practice. Do you have a supplement recommendation? He has been through Henle Latin 1 and 2 (2 not as well) and likes that approach (now that he isn’t having to do it :))

No good ideas here...I think it is just too late for the old brain to be working (1:00 a.m. here). I would probably check out the bookstore (Borders or such) and see if any of their books fit what he wants. They often have a lot of workbook style Spanish books.

Time to go to bed, Jean. :)

So my son is finishing up unit 5 in SOS Spanish I. I guess that is pretty good!! I found some other Spanish vocabulary cd and another spanish program on cd at Mardels that I am going to have him work on and only do this program 3 days a week. I didn't allow him to use his notebook on tests until after the 3rd unit when I read your post. He made an 84 on his last test . He's had a pretty solid 85 average for the first few units and then more like an 81/82 average for the last couple. I just feel bad because the rest of his grades are A's. But for someone who has just done a little Rosetta Stone, it sounds like he is doing pretty well with this program. He likes it, but disagrees with some of the grading in it. Since I don't know Spanish, I can't tell if he is correct. Do you have any ideas of maybe some extra-credit I could give him to help out his grade?

Christine

So my son is finishing up unit 5 in SOS Spanish I. I guess that is pretty good!! I found some other Spanish vocabulary cd and another spanish program on cd at Mardels that I am going to have him work on and only do this program 3 days a week. I didn't allow him to use his notebook on tests until after the 3rd unit when I read your post. He made an 84 on his last test . He's had a pretty solid 85 average for the first few units and then more like an 81/82 average for the last couple. I just feel bad because the rest of his grades are A's. But for someone who has just done a little Rosetta Stone, it sounds like he is doing pretty well with this program. He likes it, but disagrees with some of the grading in it. Since I don't know Spanish, I can't tell if he is correct. Do you have any ideas of maybe some extra-credit I could give him to help out his grade?

Christine

You are at a disadvantage because you don't know Spanish. The program can be done without a Spanish speaker to help, but there are often a few points here and there that I give to my kids when I correct their work because I don't think the points taken off reflect the work or there is more than one acceptable answer to a question...but that usually doesn't raise a test score by much.

What do you have set up in the Teacher SOS? In the school setup, I recommend these be checked:

Assignments:Leave skip problem message, access answer key (so they can check and see what isn't working), and under easy spelling check the unlimited box. Make sure all the games are checked.

Quizes and Tests:Open book (if you want--I just let them use anything they've written in their notebook), leave skipped problem message, spelling penalty 1%.

Grade: 90/80/70/60. I have assignments 25%, quizzes 25%, tests 50% unless we do a project. I would consider that you could add a project or two--these do not have to be in Spanish (the student doesn't know enough Spanish to research and write a paper in the target language). Studying the culture, history, or geography is very much part of the study of a language. You can have him research history of one of the countries, do a cooking unit, or write a paper on the geography of Spain (or whatever he is interested in) and then weigh that into the final grade. If you were to give him a 15% on a couple of projects (making the test grade 35%), that would definitely raise his grade if he did good work.

If you have a question on a specific test question, you can always post it here (or on the Spanish board) and people would be willing to help you decide if the answer is correct (or you could send me a pm). One of the biggest problems with SOS is that they only allow for one correct answer when there are oh-so-many correct options.

HTH!

Jean,

You are awesome!!!!!!! I will check and see how it is set up. I just used the default. The idea for a report is brilliant. He needs to do more writing anyway!!! You are my hero! I really didn't want to drop Spanish and was having trouble figuring out a different credit.

christine

I created a 'textbook' for my kids from the Spanish I screens. They are able to have the notes, charts, etc in a book form and can also take notes in the book as they are learning/studying the lessons. I still require them to write things down -- but they write it in their 'textbooks'.

I'm not sure if it works from the student screens, but if you sign in as the teacher you can print the lesson screens with or without graphics. I have found that it is easier just to cut and paste into Word.

Yvonne in NE

Jean,

You are awesome!!!!!!! I will check and see how it is set up. I just used the default. The idea for a report is brilliant. He needs to do more writing anyway!!! You are my hero! I really didn't want to drop Spanish and was having trouble figuring out a different credit.

christine

:001_smile:

Jean,

Are you going to get only Secondary Spanish done this year and will you call it Spanish I? I really should have gone this route to begin with.

Kendall

That is what I decided to try. My son is rather independent, so I've not seen all that he is doing in Secondary Spanish, but he seems to be learning and doing well.

Jean