Menu

Course outline vs. course syllabus

I'm working on planning, scheduling, writing out lesson plans and the like for a couple of courses for DS. One course is an Introduction to Computers course which uses the same textbook as the same course at our local community college.

I was reading through the objectives and tables of contents in the Computers book and I started outlining it just for my own use in planning the course. But then I started thinking that for some courses (at least those at the public High School my oldest daughter attended), students were given an outline or a syllabus. So then I started racking my brain trying to remember what the differences are between a course outline and a syllabus. For the life of me, I can't remember.

Can someone please clue me in as to what the differences are between the two? Do I need to write up both an outline and a syllabus?

This will be DS's first "college-level" course and I'm hoping he learns a bit more about what is expected in community college courses and about study skills (planning the time, organization, weekly assignments as opposed to daily, etc) over learning about computers since he already knows much of what's covered in the book. Granted, we'll be doing the course without having a teacher lecture or classroom discussion, but I'd at least like to try to replicate the homework part (reading the text, answering the questions, maybe doing a few of the writing assignments). Any help I can get in "getting it right" would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Sue

Edited by SW in IL
clarifying

Just bumping this up...

:bigear:

But here is my input...

I think a outline is just that.. a outline of the course (basically what many text books have in the front. Not much detail overal.

A syllabus is much more. It may include objectives, goals, rules, expectations of teacher, grading scale, schedule of readings, lectures, homework, quizzes, etc. Also may include requirements/directions for projects, essays, reseach papers, etc and their due dates. Basically with a syllabus the student should be able to follow it independently and do what the course requires to earn credit. Some are less in depth than others... depends on how much the teacher. More in depth they are = less surprises for the student. Many college courses are more in depth

Ds is taking a computer course a CC and has a syllabus that is 5 pages long, he knows what he needs to read from text to prepare for lecture, when assignments, quizzes, essays, tests, projects are due for the whole course, he knows grading scale, rules of class, teacher expectations. Does not include directions/details of assignments, essays, projects... those are given as they are assigned.