Menu

Discussion on College Confidential

I don't think so. I think many differing opinions are expressed. These moms have seen a lot, and I would take their opinions seriously. Those who are opposed to homeschooling in high school could very well have solid reasons for feeling that way -- maybe they've seen homeschooled students who weren't well-rounded or well-socialized, or they live in an excellent school district and believe other school districts are just as strong.

I enjoy looking at all sides of issues I'm considering -- good, bad, unexpected -- so I like to read threads like this one.

I only saw a couple of posters who seemed intent on pushing public schools. One can find more than that among parental peers who offer advice. Otherwise, I thought the info in the thread was quite good personally. I was prepared to add my 2 cents into the conversation (having pulled mine out for high school due to public schools in our area), but after reading it - see no need to do so.

I thought that a couple of the replies pushing public school did being up good points - even if my solution would be different.

The "we" versus "he" comments were especially on target - I think we as homeschool moms tend to "take over" and our dc might not get the autonomy they would otherwise.

I do think that (if possible) science and math courses for high achieving students be outsourced or at least have a tutor available for those whose parents may not have the knowledge to help. At least that is what I will do! I have a decent science and math background, but there is no way I can give it the time and attention it needs due to the other demands on my time.

Saying all of that - we do have a very, very good high school nearby. We can do dual-enrollment (there and at the cc) and that is always a possibility.