Menu

SAT accomodations

Dd2 has type 1 diabetes. She is in 8th grade, but she will be taking her first SAT2 in 9th grade, so I started to investigate the process for getting accommodations for the SAT. (Yes, she needs them -- access to electronic devices, access to food, etc.)

Wow! Wow! Wow! It looks like a nightmare process. Has anyone done this on their own? After reading the three steps to do this and then seven steps to do that and what the school district coordinator is responsible for and what the parent is responsible for, etc. etc., my head is spinning! (This wasn't a great thing to investigate on a Monday!)

I'm hoping a few people can step up and say, "Yes, I did it, and it wasn't that bad! The rpocess is manageable! The College Board forms just have the ability to make tying your shoes look almost impossible!"

Dd2 has type 1 diabetes. She is in 8th grade, but she will be taking her first SAT2 in 9th grade, so I started to investigate the process for getting accommodations for the SAT. (Yes, she needs them -- access to electronic devices, access to food, etc.)

Wow! Wow! Wow! It looks like a nightmare process. Has anyone done this on their own? After reading the three steps to do this and then seven steps to do that and what the school district coordinator is responsible for and what the parent is responsible for, etc. etc., my head is spinning! (This wasn't a great thing to investigate on a Monday!)

I'm hoping a few people can step up and say, "Yes, I did it, and it wasn't that bad! The rpocess is manageable! The College Board forms just have the ability to make tying your shoes look almost impossible!"

Sorry, I can't say that it was easy-LOL. I had a school counselor fill in their part... and the school had an IEP for my son........ The college board did not exactly deny the accommodations, they just wanted more information and "proof" and it was past the deadline for the test date that Ds was registered for. So he did the test without the accommodations. But he doesn't have diabetes, just asthma and it wasn't an issue for him to take his inhaler in with him.

So.. for us it was a hassle that didn't help us out, but I was also at the mercy of the ps and they didn't follow the directions on the forms. They didn't send in the "proof" required.