Menu

What about Abeka for Science?

I see alot about BJU and Apologia science for high school and am wondering if anyone has any opinion on Abeka and how it compared to the other two. My son has used Abeka at the lower levels and really enjoyed it. We tried Apologia General Science briefly and he absolutely hated it. It was the only course that he has ever asked to switch. The BJU looks intense and like it may only be doable with the DVD's or HomeSat, which quite frankly may be above our budget. We are considering going the Abeka route w/ DVD labs. Is there any reason that this would not be a good choice? If we did the BJU route is it as self instructional as Abeka if we just went with labs on DVD? I am not a science person and am trying to figure out the best option.

Hi,

I have a used copy of Abeka's Biology book, and I do like it for the reasons you are stating. I'm not a big Apologia fan. I have a dd who will be taking biology next year, and she also hates Apologia. Yet, the BJU text will be too overwhelming for her. I have many friends who have successfully used Abeka's science books. They recommended that I give it a try, so we will do so next fall. My dd is not going into the science fields, and she is more of the literature/history/drama kind of girl. I know others like Prentice Hall science books, but they are still too overwhelming for my dd. I know, I tried their physical science book with her. I guess I can't really speak from experience yet, but that's my plan for next year.

Jan

I see alot about BJU and Apologia science for high school and am wondering if anyone has any opinion on Abeka and how it compared to the other two. My son has used Abeka at the lower levels and really enjoyed it. We tried Apologia General Science briefly and he absolutely hated it. It was the only course that he has ever asked to switch. The BJU looks intense and like it may only be doable with the DVD's or HomeSat, which quite frankly may be above our budget. We are considering going the Abeka route w/ DVD labs. Is there any reason that this would not be a good choice? If we did the BJU route is it as self instructional as Abeka if we just went with labs on DVD? I am not a science person and am trying to figure out the best option.

I would have no problem using A Beka. We used A Beka for biology in 9th for both kids. While my oldest whipped through Apologia Science books including Advanced courses, my youngest hated Apologia with a passion. She just managed to finish 75% of the Chemistry textbook before we allowed her to stop. Then she completed Chemistry: A Self Teaching guide. She liked A Beka and I wish I had had her continue with it. All kids are so different. If you think your son would like using A Beka more, I'd go for it.