Menu

Help me help dd with pre-calculus

Background: Dd completed TT Alg.1 & 2, and TT Geometry with good understanding. As a 10th grader she did terrific (30) on her ACT (with writing) composite, but her lowest score was in the math section (26). On the PSAT her composite (215) was also brought down by her math (65).

This year I switched her over to Chalkdust Pre-Calculus, and she had a steep learning curve when it came to the use of the graphing calculator. She is usually able to grasp the concepts, but it seems to take her so long to work them correctly. I assign her problems according to CD's recommendation (every fourth problem or so), but it still seems to take forever for her to finish a lesson.

Tonight she had a meltdown b/c she is just finishing up chapter two. She is behind b/c it took her so long to learn the graphing calculator, plus I had her do some SAT review before taking the PSAT. I know that I have read that this course can take 1 1/2 years, but at this rate she will be working for longer than that. It was our plan for her to take a Statistics course in 12th grade, either AP or at the local cc, and she would thereby be done with her general math course requirement for college.

She has no plans to major in either science or math in college, so I'm wondering if I can shorten the Chalkdust Pre-Calculus course in any way. Or is there something else I can do to help her? We are in a small town, and I know of a tutor who lives about 40 minutes away and could meet with her weekly, but I don't know if that will help her in the daily grind.

I know that part of the frustration is that hard work pays off big dividends for her in all her other subjects, whereas in math she is constantly trying to catch up.

Any ideas?

I think "precalculus" is sort of a catchall name for courses that cover a grab-bag of various topics that weren't caught in earlier courses but that the author thinks are important for either general math knowledge and/or for calculus success. My impression is that there is great variation in topics covered in precalc courses. Given that, I'd guess that EVEN IF your dd plans on calculus at some point, there'd STILL likely be things you could drop out of the precalc w/o suffering too much later.

Soooo, maybe you could go through her syllabus and compare it to a handful of OTHER precalc syllabuses/TOCs and just choose some chapters to drop that aren't included in all the other programs?

Just a thought. . .

I recommend you hire a tutor to meet with her regularly. A real person with lots of math experience can do a great job of streamlining the work she's doing without shortchanging her. Nothing is more frustrating than teaching yourself math, even with a good book, and having no one to bounce questions off of. When I was working on my graduate degree in statistics, I was the ONLY grad student in stats in the state of Alaska (LOL), and so my math courses were great--I had other students in the math courses. But my stat courses made me CRAZY, because I had no way to set up a "study session" and talk through problem solutions. I had to wait for my professors to be available to have a conversation.

In your daughter's case, with no classroom setting, she at least needs to have conversations with a tutor and to see problems solved in front of her rapidly and smoothly by someone with experience. It will help her see the patterns and move more quickly through the processes required.

By the way, those ACT scores are quite respectable, even in math. :)

TT prepares students for 'standardized tests' but it is not up to level as far as pre-requisites for the 'next course'. TT's Algebra 2 covers less than half of what is covered in Chalkdust's Algebra 2 program. You would have to work TT's Pre-Calc course to cover the rest of the 'normal' Algebra 2 concepts... and then the student would still have most of the concepts taught in CD Pre-Calc to learn...

CD's Pre-Calc book is not advanced--it is NORMAL---as Pre-Calc is a college level math.

If you want to continue with the CD program you will most likely need to find your dd a good tutor who can fill in the gaps.

If your DD will not be taking higher maths in college then she can skip the 'Trigonometry' sections in the text--completing the "College Algebra" (Algebra 3) requirement that many college programs have.

Hello!

My son moved into CD PreCalc from TT Alg 2, and we were also confronted with a steep learning curve. He spent a lot of time in the P chapter, which covered some of the concepts that other programs might have exposed him to in Alg 2. Math just takes a long time at this level. My son is taking a year and a half to do the course, which will leave us a semester to do an intro to Calc. I am okay with this. It is vitally important, in my opinion, to really get the concepts and the methods at this level in order to be successful in calculus.

Perhaps this is not alot of practical help, but I hope you feel encouraged!

Blessings,

April

Do you think it is better to change what I have on her transcript? If we won't finish Pre-calculus until the end of the first semester of her 12th grade, then I can't list it on her transcript for 11th grade, can I?

Instead of

9th - Algebra II

10th - Geometry

11th - Pre-calculus

12th - Statistics

should I list math credits as

9th - Algebra I

10th - Geometry

11th - Algebra II

12 - Pre-Calculus & Statistics?

Or, should it be

9th - Algebra II

10th - Geometry

11th - College Algebra

12th - Trigonometry & Statistics?

I agree with other posts that suggest finding a tutor. What about an online tutor? Can you find someone that is available via email to answer questions?

Do you currently have any resources for increasing familiarity with graphing calculators? Your dd may be expected to use one in college (even in College Algebra) so learning about it now may save time later.

As for the transcript question, I prefer the first course list you posted.

Thank you to all who replied to this thread. I'm still uncertain as to what is "necessary" for her to glean out of the text. It's been so long since I studied this level of math, that I am very little help to her. I never used a graphing calculator, and purchasing the book "Graphing Calculators for Dummies" was something I waited too long to do. I'm waiting to hear from the tutor and hoping that she can work through email or chat on an as-needed basis.

I still wonder if any other posters/readers of this thread can comment on my questions about the transcript.

Thanks.