Menu

Which translation of Homer?

I read The Iliad in the Lattimore translation for my own self-ed and loved it. I started The Odyssey in the Fitzgerald translation and found it not to my liking, I quickly switched over to the Lattimore translation for The Odyssey and again loved it. There is something about Lattimore's versions that really resonates with me.

Do you own WEM? Susan offers a passage from three versions so that one can compare.

This method of reading the same passage in several translations helps to find what works for your student. Before my son read Don Quixote, we went to Barnes and Noble where we took every edition off the shelf. He chose a chapter to read (or begin reading). Grossman won, hands down.

Jane

In the context of reading to an 11 yr. old I'm really happy with Rieu's translation for Penguin. It's prose and has been an exciting read for the two of us.

I may have her read Fagles or Fitzgerald a few years down the road, or excerpts at least but for now, for our enjoyment and for ingraining a familiarity and love of Homer, Rieu is perfect.

We read The Children's Homer by Padriac Colum aloud a few years ago and it was a pleasure and easy to digest.

As far as an unabridged...there are so many translations! I'm hoping to hear what others have read and liked/disliked.

I find I really don't like Lattimore. I think he tries to be so true to the Greek wording that it often sounds very awkward in English to the point of being silly at times. All these people with their 'well-ordered' hair! I am sure that is a direct translation but it just doesn't work in English!

We just read both the Iliad and the Odyssey in a co-op class I teach. I chose Fitzgerald for the Iliad and Fagles for the Odyssey, because they had good unabridged audiobooks. They both are fabulous as straight reads -- but George Guidall's narration (Recorded Books) of the Iliad and Sir Ian McKellen's narration of the (Fagles/Penguin) Odyssey were incredible. It helped so much to hear the oh-so-difficult-to-pronounce names read aloud, and both narrations really brought the stories to life.

There are other audiobooks of both these epics, but some are abridged, and none seemed as robust and compelling to me.

If audiobooks are not of interest I would choose Fagles for both books.

Hope you enjoy Homer!

~Brigid

Edited by Brigid in NC

Some people like the Rieu prose translations(The Iliad, the Odyssey), and I guess they could serve as an intro to Homer, but I wouldn't use them.

That's exactly why I like them, they're a thrilling intro (It should be noted that there are two Rieus, a father and son. One translated the Illiad and the other translated The Odyssey.

It really does depend on what age your kids are and what you're trying to accomplish. This is actually my daughter's second exposure to Homer. She listened to a children's audio play version around 7. Now we're reading Rieu with the purpose of giving her more details while keeping her excited and in love with it. In a few years it will be Fagles or Fitzgerald.

I suppose for me it's not a matter of the best translation but rather the best translation for our current purpose. I plan to keep revisiting Homer over the years so one translation won't do. :D