Menu

Why do we hunt Easter eggs?

The old fasting law of the Catholic Church included no eggs during Lent. Thus on Easter, eggs were a treat and were part of the joy of the Resurrection and the fast being over and Catholics were allowed to have eggs again.

I think the hiding of them just turned out to be part of the fun and celebration. But that is how eggs began to be associated with Easter.

The easter bunny, easter eggs and easter itself pre-dates christianity. It was originally a pagan holiday, celebrated all over Europe. Like almost all modern christian holidays, when the christians began to take over the pagans and force them to be christians one way they did it was to take over their holidays as well.

Easter, in its various pronunciations, was originally a holiday celebrating spring and renewal of life and the Earth. Eggs and rabbits are obvious symbols of these things. The exchange of eggs by children was done centuries before christians began to celebrate easter. The easter bunny also originated with the pagan celebration of Eastre (etc.) where the pagans paid homage to the goddess Eastre (among others), of whom a rabbit was a symbol. The Germans are the ones who brought the idea of an easter bunny to America, and actually that wasn't even picked up by other christians until after the Civil War. So in America the custom is relatively new, but the "easter bunny" has been around since before there was the christian easter.

It's a rite of passage for parents. One does not receive their fully accredited Parent Card until they have found the last hidden hard-boiled egg, months after Easter (usually around Thanksgiving).:ack2:

I was thinking that we hunt eggs because they tend to stay where we put them while bunnies and chicks do not! Even if it takes until Thanksgiving!laughing014.gif

In truth, Parabola nailed it.

Doran

I only have two words for you: PLASTIC EGGS!

No....pleeeassee....not plastic....the landfills...the toxicity of the manufacturing....the pouring of all those chemicals into our atmosphere, the leaching into our kids' red, yellow, and blue dyed candy, into their PEEPS for goodness sake!

Come to think of it, the darn eggs are probably equally toxic, given what I know about the way most of our white eggs are produced around here. And, I'm sorry. But, our farm eggs were generally much too precious (and much too multicolored) to be dipped in dye, hidden under a bush, possibly forgotten until Thanksgiving, and probably not eaten even if they were found. Nope, when we dyed eggs, it was always the nasty commerical ones. Pssst! We bought two packs of plastic eggs just yesterday. shocked003.gif

But Doran, if there are no toxic plastic eggs leaching chemicals into the landfills, How will a bunny living near a landfill mutate into an "Easter Bunny"?

The Country Bunny and the Little Golden Shoes

It's no mutation, my dear. It's destiny...it's motherhood...it's what we get for all the selfless devotion we have. Mutation my arse! :D:D:D

Doran

The old fasting law of the Catholic Church included no eggs during Lent. Thus on Easter, eggs were a treat and were part of the joy of the Resurrection and the fast being over and Catholics were allowed to have eggs again.

If anyone's interested, here's what the Catholic Encyclopedia says on the topic (the first part includes just what Philothea said):

Because the use of eggs was forbidden during Lent, they were brought to the table on Easter Day, coloured red to symbolize the Easter joy. This custom is found not only in the Latin but also in the Oriental Churches. The symbolic meaning of a new creation of mankind by Jesus risen from the dead was probably an invention of later times. The custom may have its origin in paganism, for a great many pagan customs, celebrating the return of spring, gravitated to Easter. The egg is the emblem of the germinating life of early spring. Easter eggs, the children are told, come from Rome with the bells which on Thursday go to Rome and return Saturday morning. The sponsors in some countries give Easter eggs to their god-children. Coloured eggs are used by children at Easter in a sort of game which consists in testing the strength of the shells (Kraus, Real-Encyklop die, s. v. Ei). Both coloured and uncoloured eggs are used in some parts of the United States for this game, known as "egg-picking". Another practice is the "egg-rolling" by children on Easter Monday on the lawn of the White House in Washington.

I've heard all kinds of reasons about this but I discovered one that was quite fun. I moved into a house on 2 acres with creaks and ponds about 15 years ago during the month of November. It was cold and deary and icy and snowy. As the snow began to melt and disappear, the multitude of ducks, who were there all winter too, began to play. I started finding eggs everywhere. It was great fun. It wasn't pagan first, it was nature. It happens every spring.