Menu

Does anyone know about returning packages to Amazon?

I can't get anyone on their customer service line. It just keeps ringing busy. I already received me refund because my package did not arrive before Christmas, as promised. On the 23 I did some investigative calling and they determined that it had gotten lost at their warehouse. So, they refunded my money + shipping and overnighted a new one to me. It arrived fine and I was able to give the gift to dd on Christmas day. Then on Monday, the original package arrived. But I don't know what to do with it. I haven't opened it, so can I just give it back to the post office and ask them to return to sender? Or do I have to re-address it and ship it back? Any thoughts?

I think I'd contact them through their online form first. It's my understanding that some people have just returned unopened packages before and Amazon can (and sometimes will) charge you for the return shipping. I'd go through customer service first so it can be noted in your account.

I ordered a camera bag, and they shipped the wrong one. I went to the customer service area of their site and clicked "Call me." My phone rang immediately. I waited for less than 2 minutes for someone to answer. They were very helpful. Basically, to return, they set up a UPS pick up to get the item from your porch. The driver has the label with him/her. Super easy. This way, you're guaranteed to have tracking, etc. back to them.

Don't return the package without contacting Amazon first. They may just tell you to keep the package and forget about it, or else they will arrange to send you a call tag for it. Don't agree to return it unless they tell you in writing that you will not be charged for the return shipping, and they verify that this is an extra item and not a regular return.

They have probably already written off the first package as a loss, so if you return it, it will probably completely mess up their records, and you'll somehow end up losing money for having done the right thing. (They charge for return shipping for certain items, and also have restocking fees for some of their merchandise.)

Don't rush to return the package. Wait a day or two, until their phone lines aren't so busy, and call them again. Whatever the rep instructs you to do, ask them to verify it in an email to you so you'll have it for your records. (Amazon reps are notoriously inconsistent, and one will tell you to do one thing, while another will say to do something else!)

Cat

You should be able to go online (under order history) and choose return. It will give you several options and you can choose to have UPS pick it up from your house. Just put it on your front porch!

I just go online, email them, they send me a return slip to put IN and ON the package, and I drop it off at the post office (or rather hubby, who likes to go there, does). Never, ever a problem.