Menu

Homemade blueberry syrup -- Make with juice or whole berries? How long does it keep?

A while back, I made blueberry muffins, using canned blueberries. I drained the liquid and used it to make blueberry syrup (added sugar & cornstarch). It was really good! Now I have a whole can of blueberries and was thinking of making syrup again.

Two questions:

1) Should I follow the same procedure as before, using the berries in another recipe and making syrup from the juice? OR should I puree the berries & juice together to make the syrup? (And would I then need to strain the puree?)

2) How long does this kind of syrup keep if stored in the refrigerator?

I've never used canned blueberries but our blueberry syrup recipe uses water, sugar and whole blueberries so I would imagine you could just use the canned blueberries as is (unless you object to the chunks of blueberries in which case you could puree them). Don't know anything about how long it would keep but I would imagine it would keep a week or more.