Menu

Is this a usual wait time for an appt?

The appts. I made for the neuropsychologist are not until August (five months) and the OT called today and said she's looking at a 6 month wait just to evaluate my dss. Is this pretty typical or would you look elsewhere even if it's a distance to drive?

It may depend on the area but I waited 4 months for a neuropsych eval. The testing took place over a 2 week period and then it was another 6 weeks before we had an appointment with results.

I was wait listed for 9 months for an pediatric OT.

Crazy isn't it.

It may depend on the area but I waited 4 months for a neuropsych eval. The testing took place over a 2 week period and then it was another 6 weeks before we had an appointment with results.

I was wait listed for 9 months for an pediatric OT.

Crazy isn't it.

I am SO glad you specifically said "pediatric OT". I started a search for Ped. OTs in our area and found what looks to be a spectacular clinic for OT, ST and is certified for sensory integration assessment and treatment!!! :thumbup:

It's about an hour and a half away, but "one-stop shopping" looks great! I'm really impressed by the website. Now.... if I can only get an appt. sometime in the next century. :D

This is the reason I have suggested to my dc to look at being an OT as an occupation. I think there must be a shortage of good qualified OTs for dx SPD and treating it.

We had an eval yesterday. I did not have to wait b/c our ST, who has really become my friend, has a very good friend who is an OT. This OT works in the two local elementary schools and is on spring break this week. It had to be this week or <?>. So I guess my timing was such that I didn't have to wait. I feel like I got a good eval.

My friend is an OT and works with elderly in their homes. She has a degree at a pediatric OT though. They are always looking at the schools in our area. She has a great job but there is a lot of turnover. I think any OT would be in high demand.

Typical for our area as well.

Helpful hint though, call and see if they have a cancellation list. If so, ask to be put on it. Give them your home number, cell number, etc. and how much warning time you need. For example, the neurologist is 45 minutes away so if I need to get in I tell them I can be there in 1 hour---gives us 45 minutes to drive and 15 minutes to get ready. Not much time but it shaves weeks off our waiting time---sometimes months even.

Then just politely call every other week or so and remind them that you would take a last minute cancellation appointment. Be VERY SUPER OVERLY polite to the receptionist and that will go a long ways.

Typical for our area as well.

Helpful hint though, call and see if they have a cancellation list. If so, ask to be put on it. Give them your home number, cell number, etc. and how much warning time you need. For example, the neurologist is 45 minutes away so if I need to get in I tell them I can be there in 1 hour---gives us 45 minutes to drive and 15 minutes to get ready. Not much time but it shaves weeks off our waiting time---sometimes months even.

Then just politely call every other week or so and remind them that you would take a last minute cancellation appointment. Be VERY SUPER OVERLY polite to the receptionist and that will go a long ways.

Yes, yes, yes!!!