Menu

Stick with 1 math program from 7-12th grade?

I am trying to decide on a path for upper level math for my oldest ds. He'll be in 7th grade next year. He's used Singapore and Rod and Staff maths up until this year, when we dropped the Singapore and just used Rod and Staff 6, which he's currently finishing up. I'm trying to decide what to use next year, that will put him on track to begin Algebra 1 the following year (8th grade).

Here's what I'm wondering: has anyone used one single math program from pre-algebra up through Calculus? I'm thinking that high school math would not be a good subject in which to do a lot of switching around. So it would be nice to find a program that ds could begin next year, and continue in through 12th grade.

While I could teach pre-algebra and algebra 1 myself, beyond that the material will have to be self-teaching, so that is a consideration. On the other hand, I also want a program that will be as demanding as a public school math program would be.

Also, Saxon is out for us. My h.s. used it, and it was the bane of my high school existence. :willy_nilly:

Any suggestions that would fit the bill?

Erica

I know people say that it is not as rigorous as some of the others, but I have compared it with a p.s. algebra book and ds seems to be learning what he would have been getting in p.s. I also compared it to some "how to learn algebra" type books from the bookstore and found that ds can understand the problems in those books too. He is in 7th and we plan to keep using TT. I am completely lost when it comes to math. If I find that TT is not difficult enough, then I may try supplementing it with other texts once we have the concepts down. But for now, I just need something that will teach ME algebra concepts so that I can help ds when he needs it. We can deal with finding tougher work after we understand the logic behind the problems. Hopes this helps!

If you live near one, then that might be the solution to doing the upper level maths. That broadens your choices somewhat. We did/are doing PM3 - NEM3, and next year my son take pre-calc at the CC. My younger one did PM2-6, is doing NEM1 now, and the plan is to do NEM2 and some sort of proof-based geometry, then NEM3, and then pre-calc and calc at CC. That leaves me not having to tackle anything beyond algebra 2 (more or less), which is nice since I don't remember much beyond basic algebra. I thought it was a good idea to stick with one publisher, too, so we would have fewer gaps.

-Nan

It really helps if you use Algebra 1 and Algebra 2 from the same publisher. However, there are a few programs such as Lial, Foerster, Larson (Chalkdust) that were designed around the SAME standards, so they can be interchanged.

Programs like TT and Saxon have a unique scope and sequence and are better off when the next book in their series is used.

Saxon includes Geometry in their Algebra 1, 2 and Advanced Math text--so a separate Geometry course is not needed.

TT's Algebra 1 program is pretty well rounded--it is their Algebra 2 program that is lacking--making the transition into a different publisher's Pre-Calc program difficult for many students because certain concepts and rigour have been left out--'deffered' until their next level. Again I'm not bashing the program--just stating facts Most programs have some weak areas (it helps to be open to them).

Geometry can be done with just about any program. Proofs add rigour--but it is the APPLICATION part of Geometry that is tested on the SAT/ACT. Current PS Geometry text use much more Algebra 1 than previous texts. Personally I think proofs are important because they teach/demonstrate logic--and the logic of math.

Pre-Calc and Calculus--well, it is good if they come from the same publisher--but it is not necessary. If you use a SOLID Pre-Calc program (rigour is important at this level) then the student will be prepared for just about any Calculus program they enter/use.

Thank you for the various suggestions you've offered here. Jann, your post was especially helpful. It didn't occur to me that I could easily use different programs for algebra, geometry, and calculus. My school used Saxon, as I mentioned in my post, and so they were all mixed together. Thanks for pointing out that those can be separate programs.

My task for now is deciding which program to go with for Pre-algebra, Alg. 1, and Alg. 2. Does anyone have an opinion as to which program best prepares a student for the SAT? (other than Saxon :tongue_smilie:) While I appreciate programs that are more independent-minded, this level of math is one area where I could go along with teaching to the test a bit.

Erica