Menu

Our piano teacher died.

He was on his way to our home to give the girls their lessons when we got a call from the State Troopers that he had been in a wreck, and asked them to call us to let us know he wouldn't be there. Today we found out that he had pulled off because he felt unwell, was taken to a hospital where he died of an aneurysm.

He was such a good teacher. Our house was in between the town where he worked and the town where he lived, so he came by here to make it easier for us. He was able to develop a real love of the piano in my youngest dd, who wanted to quit before he became our teacher. He always had jokes to tell the children, and they were very fond of him. He was a great motivator. Our girls played well before they studied with him, but their playing just took off under his tutelage.

So sad, his poor wife will be lost. And for his many students there will be no replacement.

That is just so terribly sad! I am so sorry.:(

I've often wondered what would happen to all my cello students if I were to die, morbid thoughts I know, but it spurs me on to keep better records so dh could actually contact all my students if something were to happen to me. Which reminds me, I need to update my records once again.

• 2 weeks later...

This would be a devastating loss for my dd (if it were her piano teacher) so I pray for your children to be able to cope with this huge loss. How terrible.

This was a wonderful teacher. He died the morning before our lesson. He was a fairly young guy -- in his 50s -- and it was very unexpected. My son was devastated, and still isn't ready for a new teacher. No other teacher could live up to that guy.

We went to the funeral. My family had never been to a "black" funeral before with full gospel choir and singing preachers. It was so amazing, and the music, as you might imagine, was totally awesome. This teacher was very involved in several gospel choirs and they all came out and filled the church.

My son still plays. He has taken to heart many of the things his teacher told him and has developed a special affinity for jazz.