Menu

What do I need to use before Math Relief Algebra I?

Just wondering what will best prepare my daughter for success with this course. She is using TT7 right now and will finish in January. I was considering using Key to Fractions, Decimals, and Percents.

Should I have her do a Pre-Algebra for 8th grade and then start Math Relief Algebra I in 9th?

I could have her do TT Pre-Alg starting Jan through summer while also doing the Key to series. Then do TT Alg. I in 8th (which I understand is more like a Pre-Algebra course?) Then, start Math Relief Alg I in 9th.

What would you do? Any thoughts welcome.

We are average math folks around here and I have to have all the assistance I can in teaching math.

Thanks! :001_smile:

Just wondering what will best prepare my daughter for success with this course. She is using TT7 right now and will finish in January. I was considering using Key to Fractions, Decimals, and Percents.

Should I have her do a Pre-Algebra for 8th grade and then start Math Relief Algebra I in 9th?

I could have her do TT Pre-Alg starting Jan through summer while also doing the Key to series. Then do TT Alg. I in 8th (which I understand is more like a Pre-Algebra course?) Then, start Math Relief Alg I in 9th.

What would you do? Any thoughts welcome.

We are average math folks around here and I have to have all the assistance I can in teaching math.

Thanks! :001_smile:

I'm not familiar with TT7, but the Math Relief guy says his program includes pre-algebra. You could always email him. I can confirm that he introduces everything clearly and simply, step by step.

My son did Singapore 6A and 6B in 7th grade, and is doing fine with Math Relief in 8th grade. My older dd did Math Relief in 10th grade, after doing some mickey mouse math at the public schools that was supposed to "relate" to kids better :( Both succeeded with Math Relief. I'd say it's especially easy for my 8th grader because of the Singapore foundation in thinking skills.

Julie

Thanks, Julie.

My dd really likes TT and has done well with it. She says it is the first time she has really understood math. But, all the threads on TT have made me a bit concerned. My dd does not have math career ambitions or anything. As a matter of fact, I am thrilled to say that she wants to be a wife and mother more than anything. Who knows, maybe she will be on these boards one day. ;)

I say all that to say that I am not sure whether to ignore the concerns mentioned about TT or not. The way I look at it, I would like her to be prepared if she does end up in a college type situation.

I want her to have an excellent education either way. Math Relief seems to explain it all really well. I wish I had a way of finding out if Math Relief has better coverage of Algebra than TT.

People say that with TT, you have to go up through Pre-Calculus to get all of Alg. II. Well, I had no intention of going past Alg. II with my dd. So, I wondered if we should switch to Math Relief.

Any other thoughts or ideas?

We approached MR two ways.....

1) Pre-Algebra course in 7th followed by MR in 8th(This is with my mathy son. He was ready for Algebra in 8th grade.:001_smile:This is the same son who has said that he will send Mr. Firebaugh an invitation to his high school graduation.)

2)Pre-Aglebra course in 8th followed by MR in 9th.(This was for my artsy-crafty girl who would rather be knitting or sewing than doing her math. But she LOVES Mr. Firebaugh just the same as her big brother. Go figure!)

Here is the thing, though. Make sure that your student is SOLID in their basic skills before moving them into Algebra. At the high school level, there is no review of Decimals, percents, fractions, and ratios.(unless you make a plan for it.) So, if you have ANY doubts in your mind about those skills, then take a year to do a good pre-algebra course. Only YOU know if your student is ready to move on to higher math.

Whatever you do, don't rush them through to Algebra in 8th grade because you feel like they will be "behind" or because "everyone else is doing it." Each child is different and you have to make that decision based on them and not on what everyone else is doing.

Just my two cents,

Brenda:001_smile:

Thank you, Brenda. Do you have a recommendation for a good Pre-Algebra course? I am a little limited because it needs to be something fairly independent. Like MUS or TT. I am teaching 6 dc...5 different grades. So, I know it sounds terrible, but I just don't have the luxury of lots of time...I am always available when she hits a tough spot, though, or has any questions.

Are you familiar with TT? What do you think about if we did TT Pre-Alg now, (start after Christmas) then TT Alg I when we finish Pre-Alg and into 8th grade ( a lot of people say it is more like a Pre-Alg), then Math Relief in 9th?

Also, along with TT Pre-Alg, we would be doing the Key to Series. Which Key to books would I need? Key to Fractions, Decimals, and Percents for sure. Would I need any of the others? Maybe some of the Key to Algebra series?

I have read way too many threads about TT and math lately. I am totally confused...I have a tendency to over-research. :confused:

She does love the way TT explains things, so I am hesitant to switch. But, I want to make sure she gets a thorough coverage of things.

Edited by Mommy7

Thank you, Brenda. Do you have a recommendation for a good Pre-Algebra course? I am a little limited because it needs to be something fairly independent. Like MUS or TT. I am teaching 6 dc...5 different grades. So, I know it sounds terrible, but I just don't have the luxury of lots of time...I am always available when she hits a tough spot, though, or has any questions.

Are you familiar with TT? What do you think about if we did TT Pre-Alg now, (start after Christmas) then TT Alg I when we finish Pre-Alg and into 8th grade ( a lot of people say it is more like a Pre-Alg), then Math Relief in 9th?

Also, along with TT Pre-Alg, we would be doing the Key to Series. Which Key to books would I need? Key to Fractions, Decimals, and Percents for sure. Would I need any of the others? Maybe some of the Key to Algebra series?

I have read way too many threads about TT and math lately. I am totally confused...I have a tendency to over-research. :confused:

She does love the way TT explains things, so I am hesitant to switch. But, I want to make sure she gets a thorough coverage of things.

My older dd used some of the Key To books before we found Math Relief. Maybe they helped her, I'm not sure. I'd have to look back & see which ones she used, but I definitely would NOT use the Key To Algebra, as it is very long & would just be done better using Math Relief Algebra anyways.

If she needs to work independently, then the answer key in Math Relief will be helpful, since it has the complete answers worked out. I'm not sure what TT has, but many algebra programs do not have all answers or complete answers.

For other TT comparisons, I know the Math Relief website has a link along the left side to the "course content." Maybe you could find something similar & compare. I also have heard that TT wasn't advanced, but I have zero experience with it.

Julie

With oldest DS, I taught him using BJU Pre-Algebra. It is a good solid course. However, with DD who came later, I was in the same boat as you are. We have 4 students, so I completely understand. I needed to find something that she could do herself. So, we went with TT Pre-Algebra. I think it is a little lighter than the BJU, but it got the job done.

From TT Pre-Algebra, DD went right into MR Algebra I. She has had no problems. Mr. Firebaugh explains things so clearly, there is really no need for me to get involved.

Just relax, pray about this, and talk it over with your student and then decide what to do. But decide what would be best for your student based on her needs, not what the folks on the WTM board are doing. ;)

God will lead you....

Blessings,

Brenda:001_smile: