Menu

Lial's BCM vs. Essential Math

What is the difference between the two? Noah was doing TT Pre-Algebra but stalled out on fractions. So we dropped back to TT Math 7 so he could have a refresher on the basics but he doesn't like doing it all on the computer. Therefore, I purchased Essential Mathematics and he's loving it. I'm wondering though if I made a mistake and should be doing BCM instead?

Essential Mathematics is the first 6 chapters of BCM; it stops at Percents. BCM adds 4 additional chapters: Measurement, Geometry, Basic Algebra, and Statistics. So if you're just looking for review of fractions/decimals/percents, Essential Mathematics is perfect. If you want a complete Prealgebra program, you'd need BCM.

Jackie

Essential Mathematics is the first 6 chapters of BCM; it stops at Percents. BCM adds 4 additional chapters: Measurement, Geometry, Basic Algebra, and Statistics. So if you're just looking for review of fractions/decimals/percents, Essential Mathematics is perfect. If you want a complete Prealgebra program, you'd need BCM.

Jackie

Thank you so much! This has really helped a great deal. Now we just need to decide if he should do TT or Lial's Pre-Algebra.

If your son gets through Essential Mathematics, I would just get BCM and do the last 4 chapters and call it done. It's a much more rigorous program (IMO) than TT Prealgebra ~ and I say this as someone who is currently using TT Prealgebra with DS11. (I would love for DS to do something like BCM, but he would take one look at the page format and the number of problems and just sob.)

Jackie

If your son gets through Essential Mathematics, I would just get BCM and do the last 4 chapters and call it done. It's a much more rigorous program (IMO) than TT Prealgebra ~ and I say this as someone who is currently using TT Prealgebra with DS11. (I would love for DS to do something like BCM, but he would take one look at the page format and the number of problems and just sob.)

Jackie

When I pulled my ds out of 7th grade he tested at 4th grade math level. I have tested him again in August for 8th and he is testing 6th/7th grade level. The only reason he hates TT is because he was sitting there alone. I now have the time to sit with him and go over things. Maybe what I'll do is teach him myself using Lial's and use TT as a backup if he can't understand it from me. I'll make sure I sit with him and pause a lot for comprehension. I believe his math problems stem from a lack of self confidence. What do you think? Anyone else have an opinion?