Menu

Help me with applying for a job please :)

I used to have a resume but I have no idea where a copy may be. I left my last job in January 2001 so it's been 7 years since I've worked outside the home. I'd like to go apply for some part-time jobs but I'm scared of filling out the application. I don't want to look like an idiot but I honestly don't remember the details of jobs I've worked.

Here is what I remember:

The place I worked last lasted from about 1993 or 1994 (can't remember when I started) to 2001. But I didn't work consecutively. I left the job twice and was rehired.

The jobs before that were at a university and in lots of different departments. I think I started my first job there in 1989 and then moved away from the area in 1992 or 1993, don't remember.

See what I mean? How do I write this on an application? Does the job I'm applying for make a difference? I'd like to work in a daycare center. Will they care about my spotty memory?

Also, I have ZERO references. I have no friends or acquaintances outside of family. I do not attend church so can't get a pastor's reference either.

Then there is the matter of my college education. I've attended 3 different schools but don't remember the dates.

I feel hopeless! Help!

How far back do you keep tax returns? Maybe they'd have clues for you. Instead of exact months, just use the years (ie. 2001-2002). For the schools, can you locate your diplomas? If not, it shouldn't be too difficult to get the dates on the phone from the institutions.