Menu

Works of Mark Twain

Youngest DS and I were reading a chapter on Mark Twain in our History of US book and I would like us to read a few more books by Sam. We've read Adventures of Huck Finn and Adventures of Tom Sawyer. What are the other must-reads or should-reads by Mark Twain that either should be on my list or DS's list (this is for my 8th grader).

Thanks,

:) Carole

The Jumping Frog: In English. Then in French. Then Clawed Back into a Civilized Language Once More by Patient, Unremunerated Toil

Ooh they have this at my library, I'll read it over Christmas. Have you seen his comments on German? the awful German language

The Teaching Company has a short course on Twain, that should give some ideas:The Life and Work of Mark Twain.

Dd really enjoyed A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court and I've heard good things about his Joan of Arc but I only got part way through it before life got in the way so I can't speak from experience.

hth

~Moira

The Diaries of Adam and Eve. It's perfectly wonderful. We also found a great book of all his short stories, an eighth grader could read them fairly quickly.

There is a wonderful musical based on the Diaries. Maybe some u-tube checking, netflix or internet search will give you a taste. Church groups put this on occasionally.

We enjoyed a library dvd of Hal Holbrook's Mark Twain Tonight, a one act play.

"Adam and Eve had many advantages, but the principal one was that they escaped teething." Mark Twain

I especially liked the beginning of Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court. It gets long but has some great moments. Haven't read Life on the Mississippi, his memoir, but I would like to read that some day. It is said that Twain thought his biography of Joan of Arc to be his favorite; perhaps that is an option.

The Jumping Frog: In English. Then in French. Then Clawed Back into a Civilized Language Once More by Patient, Unremunerated Toil

Ooh they have this at my library, I'll read it over Christmas. Have you seen his comments on German? the awful German language

Moira,

Thanks for the link on the German. I've shared it with my husband (who studied German) and my daughter (who's studying Latin) -- I think they'll both enjoy it! I certainly did.

Regards,

Kareni

Youngest DS and I were reading a chapter on Mark Twain in our History of US book and I would like us to read a few more books by Sam. We've read Adventures of Huck Finn and Adventures of Tom Sawyer. What are the other must-reads or should-reads by Mark Twain that either should be on my list or DS's list (this is for my 8th grader).

Thanks,

:) Carole

I've heard his biography on Joan of Arc is fantastic. It's on AO's Year 7 reading list.