Menu

Cross-post with Curric. board: Literature buffs: My 10th grader just finished reading

Andrew Lang's Arabian Nights, and would like a "tougher" translation. Sigh. He keeps wanting books that aren't listed in TWEM! This wasn't even on his reading list, but was for my 7th grader, lol.

Were these originally translated by Richard Burton? Is there a translation you can recommend for him? He is a fine reader, and really enjoys older translations (the more flowery the old english, the happier he is, lol). I looked on Amazon, but there are so many options, and I can't begin to judge all those choices!

Help please.

I was looking into this once, and found a college course syllabus for Arabian Nights. All I can say is --(not appropriate for a minor!) It was interesting for me however, and it was really interesting to see into the Persian world. I might look into other forms of mythology from that area. From Dover you can get a lot of inexpensive little books about the middle east folklore, exploration etc. They aren't easy to read --but if you have any kind of interest in the middle east--encourage it! There are many scholarships that will come your way. Other areas--the Silk Road and ancient Chinese culture are also related to this area.

Good movie--Road to Kandahar about a Canadian Journalist trying to get into Afghanistan to find her sister. My daughter found a college student (from Iran) to teach her some Farsi last summer, and it was quite interesting, even though we can't keep it up at the moment.

Oh, thank you for asking this question! I went and pulled out my Muhsin Mahdi edition (Arabic); he edited a 14th century Syrian text and had it published. Gave me a great reminder that I should consider reading through it again!

The English version I have is based on Mahdi's text, it is a translation by Husain Haddawy:

http://www.amazon.com/Arabian-Nights-Husain-Haddawy/dp/0393313670

If he is interested in this cultural genre, might I also suggesting trying to get a hold of translations of Ibn Battuta's Rihla? My thesis was on the Rihla, I found his writing to be "youthful" and engaging. If interested I can share what editions I have of that as well...

hth!

Kate

I was looking into this once, and found a college course syllabus for Arabian Nights. All I can say is --(not appropriate for a minor!) It was interesting for me however, and it was really interesting to see into the Persian world. I might look into other forms of mythology from that area. From Dover you can get a lot of inexpensive little books about the middle east folklore, exploration etc. They aren't easy to read --but if you have any kind of interest in the middle east--encourage it! There are many scholarships that will come your way. Other areas--the Silk Road and ancient Chinese culture are also related to this area.

Good movie--Road to Kandahar about a Canadian Journalist trying to get into Afghanistan to find her sister. My daughter found a college student (from Iran) to teach her some Farsi last summer, and it was quite interesting, even though we can't keep it up at the moment.

Thanks for your ideas. I really appreciate the warnings about the appropriateness of these stories- guess that is why it wasn't in TWEM, hmm?

Yes, this kid is waaayy into mythology from all corners of the globe. He has read a lot of mythology from China, korea, Japan, etc. He, too, wants to learn Farsi- how cool your dd got to experience that!

Thanks,

LB

It was published in 1927, translated by Edward William Lane, and 1/6th of it is notes explaining the cultural and language. I have no idea whether it is viewed as a good translation or not because it came from my grandmother's house, but I love it for all its notes. I think it probably fits what you are looking for. Perhaps you could find it at alibris.com?

-Nan

It was published in 1927, translated by Edward William Lane, and 1/6th of it is notes explaining the cultural and language. I have no idea whether it is viewed as a good translation or not because it came from my grandmother's house, but I love it for all its notes. I think it probably fits what you are looking for. Perhaps you could find it at alibris.com?

-Nan

Thanks Nan,

I will check that out.

LB