Menu

Math plans for my current 7th grader...need help from you (highschool moms please)

I posted this in the K-8th board but I know that some of you used LIals so I thought I would post here too, to get your perspective on my issue with ds.

My son did Saxon from Kindergarten to 6th grade. The last two years of Saxon he was very board and got frustrated with it. We switched to MUS Epsilon because his struggles were mainly fractions.

He is doing so much better with Epsilon MUS. Here is my plan so far: I need to know if it is a good plan.

He is good at decimals so I thought after he gets done with Epsilon he can go right into Key to Decimals since I already have it. Buy the Percents (Key to) at the convention in April.

Once he is done with those go right into Lial BCM (6th edition) then go into Lial Algebra (if he is doing better). I already bought the Lial BCM 6th ed.

Does this sound doable?

Let me know the good and the bad. BTW: he currently is a 7th grader so he will be in 8th grade this fall.

Thanks

Holly

I don't know too much about MUS anymore, my dd just used the primary version years ago. However, your son could probably just go directly into Lial's BCM. My son used this his 7th grade year, and my dd used it her 7th and 8th grade year. It does have a chapter on percents and decimals in it, so you probably wouldn't need Keys to unless he is struggling. BCM really reviews math from the beginning (addition) up to Pre-Algebra. After he is done with Lial's BCM he could go directly into Algebra.

Hope that answers your question.

Veronica

bump

I really would like input....Your thoughts: good or bad

:blink:

Holly

I'm sorry, Holly...I was hoping you'd get some responses from others since I'm not familiar with your curriculum choices. Here's a bump. Maybe you'll get some helpful responses tomorrow.

Barb

Holly,

Someone with more experience can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I'd go right into Lial's BCM this year. If I were you, I would want to have him in Algebra by 8th grade. If Lial's Intro. to Algebra is similar to BCM in approach, then you are getting a program that teaches things in a clear, step-by-step manner with plenty of review. No prior knowledge is assumed. They have DVT's, which some find helpful.

Holly,

My ds did the Advanced MUS which is the pre-algebra version. I think BCM is basically a college pre-algebra text, so I don't think you need to do the Keys books even though they are very good. If your child gets stumped on decimals or percents, then you could use the Key books as a supplement.

Jan