Menu

High school history-planning help

Hi All!

We are looking to begin the 4 year rotation again next year for dc's freshman year. Dc isn't the most motovated student so I'm keeping that in mind while considering my options.

Reading the sugestions from the WTM for history just about made me cry, I don't think we could tackle any of this next year!

I'd like as much as possible covered through our history (literature, geo, government), and I really prefer a literature approach. I also need this to be very independant from me, because we run a very busy business and I'm "the office". Some days I can help a lot, otherdays I'm on the computer/phone or employees are coming and going at a moments notice.

I have used Bibiloplan through this year and enjoyed it. We used TOG for 2 years but it was overkill for our family and, I use the Veritas Press catalog as a spine for great books. We love books. So for most of our homeschool years I've pulled our year together picking and choosing from all different places, and I just don't have the time to do this anymore

Of course I want to make sure I'm covering as much as possible, and I need to gain my time back, and use something that is more of an open and go kind of program.

I do really like the looks of the Bibiloplan highschool program, and I see it includes Abeka history with it, but I haven't found many reviews on this program.

I've also heard good things about Notgrass, and I've read through their site, but I'm wondering if the kids are reading parts of real documents, or parts of literature?

I guess I'm looking for advice and suggestions for the next 4 years.

Thankyou!

Edited by ruth

I don't have any BTDT advice because I am in your position this year. After much angst about this, I have decided to use a TRISMS approach, without actually using TRISMS (not secular enough for us). I figure my son has had a lot of history input after doing two history rotations. Now he is going to focus on research and output. For the ancients, he will be spending about a month each studying paleolithic man, Mesopotamia, Egypt, India, and China and about two months each on Greece and Rome. The output requirements will vary but will include reports, essays, oral presentations, and films. I've also gotten The Bedford Anthology of World Literature (that amazingly is organized into sections on the geographical areas he'll be studying) and we will read and discuss much of what's in it and he will write papers in the WTM manner.

I also got some some Teaching Company lectures and we will be using the text The Ways of the World as an overview of the time period during the summer prior to starting this.

TRISMS is an interesting program, and seems to be open and go if you don't mind the religious aspects to it.

I'm using Beautiful Feet Guides and they use whole books. For high school they have 1 yr. Ancients, 1 yr. Medieval, 1 semester Early American, and 2 yrs. United States & World History. Check it out at www.bfbooks.com

Jennifer,

Slight hijack..... how do you use the 1 semester Early American? That is Jr. High (I have it and did some w/ds). I've done the Ancient, some Medieval, and clipped the US/World down to one year to have room for Govt/Econ. Trying to figure out what to do w/dd.

Jennifer,

Slight hijack..... how do you use the 1 semester Early American? That is Jr. High (I have it and did some w/ds). I've done the Ancient, some Medieval, and clipped the US/World down to one year to have room for Govt/Econ. Trying to figure out what to do w/dd.

It says you can use it for 9th grade. I personally am doing World History over 2 years and the US over 2 years and we homeschool year round so we are planning to just keep going until we get it all done. However, if you are looking to stretch it out over 1 year I don't see why you can't incorporate the History of US or another textbook and add in a few more books.

I've also heard good things about Notgrass, and I've read through their site, but I'm wondering if the kids are reading parts of real documents, or parts of literature?

Notgrass has a World History curriculum, American History curriculum and a Government curriculum for high school. We have not used any personally, but did look at them at the last convention and really liked what I saw.

Did you see the sample pages on their site?

http://www.homeschoolhighschoolhistory.com/world-history-high-school-curriculum.php

Scroll down to see samples.

For World History and American History, there are two history texts that contain the history lessons, writing assignments and literature assignments. The set also includes another book that contains historical documents, poetry, short stories and hymns that all go along with what you are studying each week. There are 13 literature books that will be assigned throughout the year. The site above shows you the selections of those as well.

The Government curriculum consists of the text and a second book containing historical documents, speeches and essays. I do not believe there is literature scheduled with this set.

All three sets also have a quiz and exam pack.

If you do a search here on the boards, you should find posts about others who have or are using it.

thanks for the advice. I'm still wishing I'd hear from some who have gone through this season.

I'd love to hear what you working mom's have done through high-school to give your kids a great education while having limited time .

We do plan on sending our dc to a great co-op until 10th grade, and there is also another academy that takes homeschooled kids for every subject you could think of. So this will be my resource for languages and other subjects.

Thanks again!

thanks for the advice. I'm still wishing I'd hear from some who have gone through this season.

I'd love to hear what you working mom's have done through high-school to give your kids a great education while having limited time .

We do plan on sending our dc to a great co-op until 10th grade, and there is also another academy that takes homeschooled kids for every subject you could think of. So this will be my resource for languages and other subjects.

Thanks again!

My friend had to go back to work, and she is homeschooling high school. She is happy with SOS (Switched on Schoolhouse). Her time is limited. She called SOS to get a laptop recommendation, and ordered whole grade.

So for most of our homeschool years I've pulled our year together picking and choosing from all different places, and I just don't have the time to do this anymore

I do really like the looks of the Bibiloplan highschool program, and I see it includes Abeka history with it, but I haven't found many reviews on this program.

Thankyou!

I have Biblioplan's high school program. It's not much of a program, basically just an annotated booklist with corresponding chapters in a variety of "spine" textbooks. I think it's an excellent list. But all you really get is the list. So it depends how much more you want than that.

Here's how I run my low-parental-involvement high school.

1. Make booklist based on a weekly rate of pages to read. Try to obtain all books in advance. Include Cliff's Notes or other study notes to read if available.

2. Use textbook for spine if desired; plan how many chapters per week to read. Require outlining of textbook, or not, depending on how I feel.

3. Come up with lists of rather generic questions about the books. ("Tell me about the setting of this book." "Compare the main character to the main character of another book you liked.") Use study guides, Invitation to the Classics for more specific questions ("Discuss the author's view of good and evil").

4. Students read books and notes weekly.

5. Students write an essay per week, ideally two (one for English, one for history). They pick questions off of the lists I made. (I print them all out as a packet, and give it to them at the beginning of the year as a "syllabus")

6. I read the essays and offer helpful (or unhelpful) comments.

7. Repeat weekly.

No scheduled discussion times, no comprehension. I think they get a lot out of just reading and writing, even though they may not wring every last drop of goodness out of their books. But I think being exposed to great books and worthy authors is an accomplishment in itself.

Since you like books, maybe this would work for you and makes the "booklist" approach (which is essentially TWTM's approach) more doable.

Thankyou again

I have considered SOS but it looks kind of dry, and I don't know about all the computer time?

Jenn in CA, do you use the recommended Abeka history books that go along with Biblioplan highschool? or do you use something like Streams of Civ.?

do you like or dislike them?

Your other sugestions sound just like something I'd do! I've thought of pulling something but I'm feeling lazy/tired and the thought of pulling this together seems overwhelming :blink:.(I'll snap out of it!).

What all will you cover from 9th-12th? the 4 year rotation ?

Thanks again!!

MFW has a high school program which incorporates the Notgrass texts but also incorporates some of the great books. We aren't there yet, but I am thinking about this for us for high school.

:thumbup1: MFW spreads the 2-year Notgrass World History spine over two years, and then incorporates a complete reading of the Bible, as well as literature guides from Smarr, several pieces of classic literature, and all the writing and English assignments. Your student earns 1 credit each in History, Bible and English with MFW (per year). Years 3 and 4 of of MFW H.S. are being written, with year 3 available for pre-ordering next spring.

MFW H.S. is written primarily to the student, with scheduled weekly meetings with the parent. Instructions for assigning grades and transcript credit are included in the manual. You add your own math and science, although they do recommend (and sell) Saxon math and Apologia science with lesson plans.

You can find sample lesson plans for years 1 and 2 here: http://www.mfwbooks.com/highschool.html

Jenn in CA, do you use the recommended Abeka history books that go along with Biblioplan highschool? or do you use something like Streams of Civ.?

do you like or dislike them?

Your other sugestions sound just like something I'd do! I've thought of pulling something but I'm feeling lazy/tired and the thought of pulling this together seems overwhelming :blink:.(I'll snap out of it!).

What all will you cover from 9th-12th? the 4 year rotation ?

I haven't looked at Abeka or Streams. We used Spielvogel (which is referenced in Biblioplan, I believe), and liked it.

I like the 4-year rotation. I also like the 3-year Omnibus rotation though (and that's a great book list to pick from as well). My oldest is 11th. We've done 1 yr. ancients, 1 yr. medieval, and this year is "US sorta". I have no idea what we'll do next year. My kids are transitioning into community college classes, so they may not homeschool history or lit at all in 12th grade, which is why I wanted to do a 3-year rotation (get it all in in 3 yrs). Sigh.