Menu

So...does anybody here bellydance?? For exercise, of course!

Well, I don't belly dance. I have a friend who has been a missionary to Muslims in France. They are now located in Northern Africa. Well, she was a speaker at women's conference for our area. We are part of Presbyterian Church of America. My friend explain that she had to learn how to belly dance to be apart of the culture. The women would get together for Bible study on a weekly basis. About every 4 weeks or so, they would spend the time dancing. She considered it a form of excerise. During the conference, she had a group of conservative Presbyterian women up and dancing. There were no men in the room. It is fun and a great form of excerise.

Helen in OH

We bellydance a little as a part of the Zumba class I attend. I'm 48, and there are older women than me "shaking it" in the class. I love it! It makes me feel both young and old at the same time. We've also done Indian folk dancing/Bollywood type dancing. I love learning new things, and it's great exercise!

Beth

Thanks so much for your opinions! I'll also check out the other suggestions you had. My family had gone to a Greek Festival this fall and they had a booth set up with belly dancing videos, costumes, and the all-popular hip coin scarves. Cool church! ;) I was embarrassed to even look at the goodies since our girls were with us lol. But it's been on my mind these months, and I have a secret desire to learn something REALLY different. So I found a beginner CD on Amazon that sounds realistic for my current level of fitness. Hey, they even have jingly hip scarves! I did make the mistake of teasing my hubby with the idea...and now he will not let the subject drop. ;) So I guess I'll be getting myself a video for my early-morning-before-the-gremlins-get-up exercise time. Thanks again~

*I've got bells...that jingle jangle jingle* :D

whispering...I do. and I love it. It's not often what you think of, the real bellydancing with your belly is really, really hard. We do mostly what I would call middle eastern or even what I would think of as Gipsy dancing. It is great exercise and I have a blast. it's been a while since I've been to a class.

I haven't tried it, but it is supposed to be really good for pelvic floor strengthening!

Min

And the waist, and the hips and the thighs.

I got started after the third baby but didn't stick with it. He was more "needy" as a baby than the other kids were and we were in our first year of "official" homeschooling. I just plain ran out of time.

I'm hoping to try it again to help get off the baby weight from this next baby. I'm more determined this time. If I have to belly dance while teaching a lesson I just might do that!