Menu

Literary Lessons from Lord of the Rings

I just ordered a boxed set of the trilogy for a son for Christmas. I was thinking of doing LLOTR next year with these books, but found on the website that only specific editions of the books could be used.

Has anyone had success using this program with an edition that doesn't match up in page numbers with the study books?

Oh, that's good to hear! I was afraid I was going to have to buy another set of books. When you mentioned that you only used the Teacher's edition, does that mean that you didn't have your son do the workbook pages? Are the workbook pages necessary? I haven't seen the program so I'm totally unfamiliar with the set-up of the teacher and student books.

Oh, that's good to hear! I was afraid I was going to have to buy another set of books. When you mentioned that you only used the Teacher's edition, does that mean that you didn't have your son do the workbook pages? Are the workbook pages necessary? I haven't seen the program so I'm totally unfamiliar with the set-up of the teacher and student books.

I'm starting this program with my son in February when we start Medieval History. I only have the teacher's manual and we will discuss study notes and vocabulary together out loud. I will assign some of the writing exercises and essays utilizing IEW units to complete them. The bulk of our study will focus on the unit studies.

I'm starting this program with my son in February when we start Medieval History. I only have the teacher's manual and we will discuss study notes and vocabulary together out loud. I will assign some of the writing exercises and essays utilizing IEW units to complete them. The bulk of our study will focus on the unit studies.

just curious, will it fit in nicely with the medieval reading list? I am sort of wondering about using it, and thought that maybe I had missed my opportunity, having just finished ancients. thank you

just curious, will it fit in nicely with the medieval reading list? I am sort of wondering about using it, and thought that maybe I had missed my opportunity, having just finished ancients. thank you

We are mainly using the logic stage reading list and we plan to study the following:

Ancient Epics - Black Ships Before Troy, The Wonderings of Odysseus, and In Search of a Homeland.

Arthurian Legends - The Boys King Arthur, The Sword & the Stone, amd King Arthur & His Knights

Traditional Poetry - Wordsworth, Coleridge, Irving, Browning, Poe, etc.

Fantasy Literature - The Golden Compass, The Subtle Knife, and the Amber Spyglass.

Each unit study has excerpts of various literature too such as Beowulf and Sir Gawain as well as works from Malory, Spencer, and Tennyson.

I just ordered a boxed set of the trilogy for a son for Christmas. I was thinking of doing LLOTR next year with these books, but found on the website that only specific editions of the books could be used.

Has anyone had success using this program with an edition that doesn't match up in page numbers with the study books?

I disagree. I don't know how you could do the vocabulary study w/o using the edition that matches the teacher book.

My kids and I did the vocabulary study together orally. I used the recommended edition and they each had copies of their own that were whatever edition I found in paperback. I would read the selection from the book and we would discuss defining the word from the context of the selection.

We did it mostly orally. I read the books aloud over the whole year. I made up a few writing assignments over the year- I didnt like the ones in the program. We skipped some parts and did most of it orally. We had a fantastic year with it. My kids were only 11 and 12 or so at the time.

Would it work to give the student a list of the vocabulary words ahead of their reading schedule so that they could be aware of the words when they came across them?

The vocabulary in LOTRs is so rich that it would be a cumbersome task to be on the look out for certain words while reading. I think it would ruin the enjoyment of reading the books.

You could just give the vocab words to be completed as a list. I wouldn't do that personally, though. My kids really improved their abilities to define words from the context of the reading which I think is an invaluable skill.

I could not have taught the course with the same level of outcomes w/o the required edition.

Absolutley. Once or twice I found that I wanted to flip through the chapter to find something specific that was being referenced, but it was usually easy to find.

I also never used the student edition, just had the teacher's edition. A definite money saver!

Like Jenn, we just used the TM, skipped the boring fill-in-the-blank comprehension questions, and just quickly did the vocabulary orally. We, too used a version we already owned, and never had trouble finding anything in the chapters -- but then, I am extremely familiar with the books, too.

Like Momof7, we did the vocab. orally, but in the context of a sentence -- and since I am so familiar with the trilogy, I could virtually quote the sentence that was used in the book from memory. However, if you are not familiar with the books, don't want to take time to flip through the chapter, or aren't going to be reading the books alongside your student, it would be worth it for your time to just buy a used copy of the edition needed. I don't know if they are the exact edition needed for LLftLotR, but Amazon used books has all-in-one volumes, and boxed set editions used for $2-3, plus shipping.

BEST of luck! Warmly, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.
added info