Menu

OK...anyone with pet allergies do OK with a Bichon? a Maltese?

Do you know what in the dog causes your allergic reaction? I read somewhere that some people are allergic to something in the dogs saliva (which would mean all dogs) while others are allergic to the dander in certain dogs. If you are allergic to the dander then a non shedding dogs would the best choice. Maltese, Bichon, poodle or poodle mix, and some terriers. http://sweet-lucys.com/allergybreeds.html has a list of dogs that would be best and a list to avoid.

Jan

Do you know what in the dog causes your allergic reaction? I read somewhere that some people are allergic to something in the dogs saliva (which would mean all dogs) while others are allergic to the dander in certain dogs. If you are allergic to the dander then a non shedding dogs would the best choice. Maltese, Bichon, poodle or poodle mix, and some terriers. http://sweet-lucys.com/allergybreeds.html has a list of dogs that would be best and a list to avoid.

Jan

I really don't know what causes it. I suppose it is at least the dander (don't know about saliva, cuz I really haven't been licked by a dog in years!).

I've seen such lists before, but your link was more helpful than the others.

My father had serious allergies and was even getting weekly shots for the longest time.

He was allergic to everything from trees and grass to cats and dogs.

We had a bichon frise for 19 years and he never had a problem. Ours did not shed at all.

You should read up about bichons before you decide on one. They are great dogs but require expensive and frequent grooming and more importantly are really had to train.

I'm allergic to dogs, but do fine w/ my little maltese mix (I think she's mixed w/ jack russell terrier, but not sure, as I rescued her from the dog pound. The groomer told me she is definitely part maltese, though, and not poodle, which is what the shelter advertised her as being).

My allergy symptoms include: itchy, watery, swollen eyes; burning, red rashy hands from petting; sneezing; runny nose; coughing; burning sensation in my chest; a wheezy, but tight feeling in my lungs.

I have 4 dogs, 3 poodle mixes and and the maltese mix. The only dog that causes any trouble for me--and it's tolerable and only occasional -- is the labradoodle, who sheds to beat the band.

My stepmother and half-sister have a Shih Tzu. They both are terribly allergic to practically everything, but not this dog.

I don't know if it makes a difference, but their dog does not shed, and his hair is kept in a puppy cut (not long).

He looks like the dog at the link below, and he is the cutest little thing.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://cdn-www.dailypuppy.com/media/dogs/anonymous/tashi_shih_tzu_01.jpg_w450.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.dailypuppy.com/puppies/tashi-the-shih-tzu_2007-10-28&usg=__5xsZ4OpCv5pJJLWH0cSOBWOQrb4=&h=469&w=450&sz=35&hl=en&start=3&um=1&tbnid=kCJAzaMlfYMPSM:&tbnh=128&tbnw=123&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dshih%2Btzu%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26sa%3DN%26um%3D1

Edited by RoughCollie

I am allergic to almost all dogs and cats. Some hit me right away - others, it hits me after I've been around them for a while. Sometimes it's congestion/sneezing and other times it's breaking out in hives.

So. With that said.

We have poodles. Two of them, indoors, and they are AWESOME. I've grown up with poodles and not one time had a reaction to any of them of any others I've run in to.

My MIL bought a maltese because she wanted a puppy that I would be able to come over to visit. :001_wub: I've never even sniffled when around her Maltese baby.

And same goes for a Bichon. No problems there either.

You'll get more color choices with a poodle (Maltese & Bichons are just white). IMHO, their hair is easier to care for than a Maltese (Maltese dogs have veryveryvery babyfine hair and it tends to tangle if you look at it funny. Beautiful hair, but very fine). We keep our poodles in a simple lamb cut and they're easy to care for. :)

hths!

Also - I've had reactions to all the wire-haired dogs that are supposedly low-allergen. Schnauzers, Shih Tzu, and other terriers - I can feel 'em coming and the sneezes start coming! LOL

• 6 months later...

I am allergic to EVERYTHING. Seriously. It's crazy. We have a Maltese (he's 7 years old and weighs 4.5 lbs) and I have no problems with him. He doesn't shed at all (I believe Maltese don't have an undercoat), but he does require frequent grooming. We get his hair shaved off because he's a bit crazy and gets tangles in his hair all the time. We also have a Pekingese that doesn't bother me either. He's the cleanest dog ever. He is crazier than the Maltese and never gets dirty. His hair is long, though we get him shaved too. He does shed, but not much at all. I don't seem to have a problem with a lot of smaller dogs, but large dogs are horrible. My eyes water, I get terribly congested and occasionally break out in hives.

I don't have typical allergies, but I get migraines when I'm around many animals. Cats are the worst, but shedding dogs can't live with me either. We have always had poodles and poodle mixes. I have a standard poodle right now. I did consider a wheaton terrier when I got my standard, but the grooming was too much for me.

There are no guarantees, but there is a good chance that if you really want a dog, you can spend some time with some of the less allergenic breeds and find one that you love that will work for your family.

I'll be the odd one out -- I'm allergic to all dogs & cats, even the ones that are suppose to be okay for allergy sufferers. :(

BUT .... My parents had a poodle that while kept my symptoms (watery eyes, sniffly nose, sneezing, wheezing) to a minimum, would still bother me and I'd have to use my asthma & allergy medicines while there. My definition of minimum is that I didn't have to head to the ER after a visit. :tongue_smilie:

We stayed with them for a month one time and the first two weeks I had to make sure I took my medicines like clockwork, but as I got used to being there, the dog no longer bothered me as long as I didn't let him lick me and I made sure to wash my hands if I pet him.

I hope you can find one that works for you. My kids are always heartbroken when I have to tell them we can't have a dog.