Menu

Ivanhoe--should we or shouldn't we? Anyone read it who can comment?

I am teaching a high school level medieval literature course to a group of teens (9). Most of them range 9-12th grade, but I do also have one eighth grader and one seventh grader (my own dd). Most of the kids are bright and well able to analyze literature. My older students are quite comfortable with the material--I would say that two of them show real aptitude for and enjoyment of analyzing literature. The younger ones haven't enjoyed it quite as much but seem to be holding their own.

I am wondering about doing Ivanhoe just to interject something lighter, something more fun, into the mix. I have not read it myself, ever, though, and need to make a fairly quick decision about next semester's list.

It's not a medieval text--it's a book ABOUT medieval times, so I understand there are inaccuracies. I feel confident that I can address any inaccuracies, and actually wondered if the book might be a good comparison to the real medieval stuff we've been reading.

However, Ivanhoe is not included in any of SWB's lists :001_rolleyes: so I question its worth. I need some specific feedback as to the quality of this book. If it's a worthwhile idea I'll try to read it quickly to assess; if not, I'll stick with my original thoughts for next semester's list and not waste the time reading right now.

This past semester we covered the following:

"The Wanderer"

"The Battle of Maldon" (short battle description)

"The Dream of the Rood"

Bede's Ecclesiastical History of the English People

Beowulf

The Mabinogion

Everyman (morality play)

Sir Gawain and the Green Knight

Next semester I am considering the following list, but can substitute Ivanhoe for something:

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors

Canterbury Tales

Faustus, by Christopher Marlowe

The Life of Saint Teresa of Avila By Herself

Le Morte d'Arthur (Malory)

Utopia, by Thomas More

The Faerie Queen, by Edmund Spencer

Thanks!

Hmmmm.....Ivanhoe was a favorite of mine when I was 15 or so, so I may be biased here. I think that Ivanhoe is well worth reading but I assigned it when we covered 19th C. British Literature, not when we did Medieval Lit.

You can recommend Ivanhoe as a fun read or save it for next year when you get into 19th C. Lit. I think it is worth studying as an adventure, as a story of a hero who is not really heroic (Ivanhoe sits around a lot and I think that Rebecca is the hero!), as a *modern* (for 1820!) retelling of old English history and story, as a picture of anti-semitism, as a study of Scriptural belief vs. superstition, etc.

If you want to make next semester a little lighter, or more fun, I suggest that you drop one of the heavier titles and read some more Shakespeare.

jmho, of course!

ETA: Don't drop the Canterbury Tales! And we found Faustus unexpectedly powerful.

Edited by Liza Q

We (2dds and I) thoroughly enjoyed Ivanhoe and then watching the film version w/Elizabeth Taylor. But it was for fun. Scott is a great storyteller.

But you are studying Medieval Lit and Ivanhoe does *not* fit that description -- it is historical fiction.

hth

~Moira

I have just read Waverley and dd has almost finished Talisman -- we really like Scott.

Edited by Moira in MA
Correct book title ;-)