What's with the ads?

Photo

Getting Grease Out of Work Clothes

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

What's with the ads?

#1 WishboneDawn

WishboneDawn

Lumpy Space Princess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7730 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 09:35 AM

My husband works in signals and communications for a railroad and comes home with work clothes covered in nasty smelling grease at times. I wash the coveralls and such but the smell that comes off them after a wash is horrible. I just use normal liquid HE detergent (front loader). Those clothes always go down to hang by the woodstove to dry as I don't want to chance them in the dryer (fire hazard??)

Does anyone else have to wash grease-covered clothes and have a better detergent I could try or any tips on what cycle and such might be best?

#2 KatieinMich

KatieinMich

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3761 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 10:42 AM

Amway. Their prewash spray is the best thing I have found for grease stains. TRi Zyme is a laundry additive that was fabulous as well. I used it on my hubby's clothes when he was doing maintenance in a food plant.

#3 Kim in Appalachia

Kim in Appalachia

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3900 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 11:37 AM

Do you know the stuff I'm talking about? I think it's called Goop, it's sold at hardware stores and places like Lowes. It's used to get grease and other nasty stuff off of your hands. Maybe it can be used on the clothes?

#4 kamom

kamom

Hive Mind Royal Larvae

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 11:58 AM

I found a cheap degreaser at the dollar store called Awsome. It works really well on my dh's jeans. He works at a tire shop. cheap and effective!

#5 Spinning

Spinning

Hive Mind Worker Bee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 64 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 12:13 PM

Have you tried using Cascade dishwasher soap? I used to always use this when I was a cake decorator/baker. (Think lots of oily buttercream/whipped cream/fryer oil.) Throwing in some Cascade (or probably an dishwasher soap) seemed pull this gunk out, and I think I head about it from someone's wife who was a mechanic.

Edited by Spinning, 12 December 2009 - 12:16 PM.

#6 Erica in OR

Erica in OR

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1636 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 08:29 PM

My mom recommended Dawn to me for getting the greasy "mystery stains" out of the kids clothes. I pretreat, then throw them in the regular front load laundry and have pretty good results so far.

Erica in OR

#7 mom2C&J

mom2C&J

Hive Mind Royal Larvae

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3506 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 01:13 PM

i used dreft baby stain remover on dd's clothes after her daddy picks her up with his nasty greasy work clothes on (he works at a metal fab. place and has his uniforms professionally cleaned)

#8 Pippen

Pippen

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3898 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 02:02 PM

FIL was a printer and my MIL is famous for always being able to get out stains. She swears by Lestoil. Rub it on the spot and use something (ie fingernail) to rub in well.

If you use it, wash the garmet alone the first time to get the odor out and then a second time with other clothes.

Edited by Pippen, 15 December 2009 - 08:32 AM.

#9 *Inna*

*Inna*

NOT a Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1957 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 02:11 PM

I use Goop and then add dish washing detergent like Dawn to the wash. But it still hit or miss. :glare:

#10 lcelmer

lcelmer

Hive Mind Level 6 Worker: Scout Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 04:22 PM

My hubby is a car mechanic..... We use sprayn wash... but I have to spray quite a bit on the grease spots.... costco does have big bottles though.....

#11 BikeBookBread

BikeBookBread

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4221 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 04:26 PM

Make a paste out of Biz, let it sit on the spots for a while, then presoak in a bit more for up to 12 hours before washing! I buy it at Target, and always seem to get $1 and $2 off Biz coupons on my receipts.

#12 WishboneDawn

WishboneDawn

Lumpy Space Princess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7730 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 08:11 AM

Awesome! Thanks everyone. I'll be trying the suggestions!

What's with the ads?