Menu

Composition in the Classical Tradition by D'Angelo

Has anyone used the Composition in the Classical Tradition by Frank J. D'Angelo? My 12th grader would like to tackle a progymnasmata type writing course. I read a bit about it and it looks like you're guided through various writing assignments.

If you've used this, I'd love to have a review...

If not, I'd love to have your ideas for a student led book to write/do. My dad is willing to help with this, and it an author by trade. (and college/seminary prof)

Suggestions??

Thanks!!

Carrie :D

I used D'Angelo mostly for reference, but ds did follow the guidelines for several Omnibus I progym assignments. One of the things I like most is that there are usually at least two different approaches/outlines suggested which allows you to choose the one that best fits whatever topic you've chosen.The text was designed for pre-law students, so some examples are taken from criminal justice sources. What a wonderful opportunity to have your father's help!

HTH,

Martha

Actually, I haven't looked at it in a long time! This book has been discussed either on this board, or way back before it became the board it is today. (Does that make sense?) So, if you do a search, you might find somethihng. Also, try searching google for welltrainedmind.com to try to find the old board. That being said, I *do* remember people really liking the instruction, but really disliking the example essays. If I remember right, the gist was "love the book, hate the samples."

Jeri

Has anyone used the Composition in the Classical Tradition by Frank J. D'Angelo? My 12th grader would like to tackle a progymnasmata type writing course. I read a bit about it and it looks like you're guided through various writing assignments.

If you've used this, I'd love to have a review...

If not, I'd love to have your ideas for a student led book to write/do. My dad is willing to help with this, and it an author by trade. (and college/seminary prof)

Suggestions??

Thanks!!

Carrie :D

I own D'Angelo's book, but only used it a little bit, for the progymnasmata courses (scroll down to the lower right-hand corner of the page) which my two older girls took with Cindy Marsch of Writing Assessment Services. The courses were great; Cindy Marsch comes highly recommended by SWB, I believe, as well as a number of other classical educators. She is everything that I wish other writing instructors were: she corrects poor grammar (without being harsh), she tries to help the kids think logically through their papers, and she keeps them focused on the goals of the assignments

My girls took one course at the Beginning level of the progymnasmata courses, and two courses at the Intermediate level. When we took the courses (which was over two years ago) each course lasted about a month. The website has changed slightly, but it used to say that at the Intermediate and Advanced levels of the progym., some students might need more than one session in which to complete the course, which is why my girls took two sessions to complete the Intermediate level.

I highly recommend these, and I bought D'Angelo's book to help me guide them through one or two of their compositions, although I wouldn't say that the book was essential in order to successfully complete the assignments.

HTH!

I'd love to look at the thread, Colleen, but that takes me to a thread about light sabers:-) Although, with this, I do wish to see the light:-)

Carrie:-)

That's weird, I just tried it, and it went to the thread I wanted to link.

OK, try this. Do an advanced search for keyword D'Angelo, with posts by Susan Wise Bauer. It's in a thread that OhElizabeth started, about the Cincy convention. You could also search for Cincy convention in thread title.

Another thought - you could pm Jill, OK about the D'Angelo book. She answered some of my questions one time about it.