Menu

Do you have to refrigerate pumpkin pie?

Pip

Technically speaking, yes, you need to refrigerate pumpkin pie. It contains eggs, and is considered a "cooked custard". Keep it in the fridge.

In reality though, many folks leave it out and never ever get sick. I've never been sick from leaving a pumpkin pie unrefrigerated overnight. Professionally, I'd never do it. Personally though, I'd go for it--it'll be ok. ;)

We have no room for it in the fridge until we cook the bird. I am seeing both yes and no on this question.

Don't know where your village is, but do you have a safe place with no heat? Say a garage or something where the temp won't get much above 40 degrees? That is what we did growing up. We had an addition on our house that served as a laundry/utility room/entrance/boot rack with no heat. During the holidays when fridge space was at a premium we would use that room. Just keep any pets out of it.:D

For now, I plan meals just so for that last week up to Thanksgiving so as to give the most space. If you looked in it right now, you would think we had no food. :tongue_smilie:

Growing up, I rarely remember the pies being in the fridge. They were always lined across the counters! But, they were gone within 2 days. My dh is always trying to put the leftover pies into the fridge, and I am always taking them out!