Menu

Post test in explode the code books

calledtobehome

My first grade son will be 7 the end of Feb, he just completed the explode the code book 2. We took the dictation post test in the back of the book and he only had enough patience to write out 1 sentence this morning without becoming to stressed. We are using this as a supplement with Hooked on Phonics. I had to read the sentence slow for him to write it out and read it a few times. He was able to spell everything correctly but it was a slow process. I've decided to complete 1 sentence each day with him until all 5 sentence are completed before moving on to book 3.

When it comes to dictation how efficient should a first grader be?

Post test, sh'most test. We skip 'em. (And don't have/use the teachers books after the prepare/go for/etc series.) I don't think you need it. If you had a class of 20 kids and couldn't measure day by day what was "missed", then I could see the value of verifying the kids were getting it, but using ETC 1on1, I just don't see the need to test.