Menu

Anyone here do Lego Robotics?

]Well you could get a team together for next years First Lego League (FLL)Competition. There is no getting around the $250.00 for your robot kit. To have any flexibility in what you build you need an extension kit---about another $100.00. The kit sold for FLL teams is pretty good. With a team you can share the costs. Of course you will also have to register as a team about $300.00. And either decide to coach a team or find another coach. If you coach the team your child will likely get the most use of your equipment.

Check out http://www.usfirst.org/what/fll/content.aspx?id=394

I coached a FLL team this past year and thought it was a very worthwhile activity. If on the pricey side. You could also go searching for a team in your area--but First really is not set up to make this easy. My15 yo dd did find a First Robotics Team at a local high school that let her join for free.

My husband has coached FLL teams through 4-H which purchased the robot. Several members of our group have aged out of FLL, so we are currently raising money to purchase a Vex system. The Lion's Club gave us a donation after two of the boys gave a presentation on the program.

Another path some parents follow is to find Robotics clubs at science museums if there are any nearby. One of the afterschool clubs (check out science magnet schools) may also welcome you.

Good luck! FLL has been a lot of fun!

Jane

Hasn't First announced that they will probably not use VEX next year. If you are planning on doing First Tech Challenge formingly First VEX you don't want to buy the VEX system until they make the final decision.

I had not realized this. Our purchase had been delayed by some bureaucratic restructuring within 4-H. Looks like that may be a good thing.

Thank you!

Jane