Menu

Need clarification on HS credits & transcripts

One of my friends recently attended a "Getting Ready for High School" type seminar from a local, veteran mom who teaches HS level science labs. My friend and I both have dc in middle school, so believe me, we are seeking to find out all we can about recordkeeping for high school. She came away so discouraged because the speaker insisted that you can not include any class on the high school transcript that is taken before 9th grade, except Algebra I. Secondly, she stated that colleges require a portfolio that corroborates what is on the transcript. This would include samples of work from all classes. She was adamant about this for all lab sciences (e.g. pictures of labs, actual lab notebooks, pictures of long term projects, etc.). She said that this info would "prove" that the student did indeed perform actual lab work.

From my own research and many threads I've read on this board, this info does not seem accurate. I understand that a transcript is not "required" to have dates for when classes were taken. The benefit being that some middle schoolers who take high school level work may indeed get credit. For instance, my dd will finish Latin Prep III in 8th and my hope was to give 1 credit for high school Latin. I had also planned physical science for 8th hoping to give 1 science credit. Am I completely misinformed?

The portfolio thing isn't that big of a deal to me. I had planned on doing this anyway. However, I wasn't aware of the necessity for photos for labs.

Please gals; help me out. I want to be properly informed and ready for the requirements of high school. If this helps, my friend and I live in GA.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Jennifer

Okay, my two plus cents after having been though the college application process with my daughter last year.

... the speaker insisted that you can not include any class on the high school transcript that is taken before 9th grade, except Algebra I.

My daughter had taken both Latin 1 and Algebra 1 in 8th grade. I did not include those subjects on her transcript because she continued on in both Latin and math. So, her transcript showed Latin 2 through Latin 5 (which indicates that she had taken Latin 1). It also showed Geometry, Algebra 2 (which indicated she must have taken Algebra 1) plus two more years of math. Had she taken a subject which had no follow up -- for example, had she taken what I considered a high school level class in Biology in 8th grade but did not take any more Biology in 9th through 12th grades, I probably would have shown that on her transcript. Likewise, had she taken French 1 and 2 in 7th and 8th grade and then stopped French, I might also have included that information.

In my daughter's case, since she was applying to selective colleges, it was important to me that she have four years of math and language during 9th through 12th grades.

Secondly, she stated that colleges require a portfolio that corroborates what is on the transcript. This would include samples of work from all classes. She was adamant about this for all lab sciences (e.g. pictures of labs, actual lab notebooks, pictures of long term projects, etc.). She said that this info would "prove" that the student did indeed perform actual lab work.

Yes and no. Of the ten colleges to which my daughter applied, only two required or recommended portfolios from homeschoolers. My advice would be to keep good records unless you know from day 1 of 9th grade where your child will apply in 12th grade.

I understand that a transcript is not "required" to have dates for when classes were taken.

Once again, yes and no. Your transcript need not have dates, however, you will find some applications do require you to list the traditional four years worth of work by year. So, if your transcript does not contain dates, you need to decide whether or not to somehow massage your information to fit that format or not to apply at all using that form.

Am I completely misinformed?

Not at all. It might be worth your time to look at the applications for a few schools that your child might someday apply to. Take a look at what's required by your local state university as well as a few others in your area and beyond. Take a look too at some applications for some of the more selective schools. Or if your child has a technical/engineering bent, look at what some of the big names in that area (for example, MIT or CalTech) require.

It can be done! And you're wise to start thinking about it all now. You don't want to be thinking about this late in 11th grade.

Regards,

Kareni

First i will ask you some hard questions about where your child will be attending college - and do you plan on homeschooling (just you and your child at home) for the whole four years of high school? How you answer these questions will effect how intensive your transcript-making has to be.

Secondly, let me say that most homeschoolers do NOT have a problem accumulating an adequate number of credits, so if you don't 'count' her Latin III, it is probably not going to make a difference. As someone on this board wisely pointed out - if you student takes Algebra II or Geometry her freshman year of high school most admisisons counselors can figure out that she probably had Algebra I the year before.

Let me introduce you to the term 'outside verification'. Many times what colleges are looking for is simple outside verification of your 'mommy' grades. If your student is taking classes at a co-op, local college, on-line high school or college, or community college, their grades will probably carry a little more weight than what you have done at home.

Some home schooling moms are eager to show off their children's accomplishments making elaborate portfolios, reading lists, etc. If that is what you WANT to do - go for it. I am from the complete OTHER camp. Alex had three years of high school at home and two years of high school as a dual-enrolled student. I combined all his classes, grouped by subject - Science, History, Composition and Literature - on one sheet of paper, put an asterisk next to the ones taken at the Community College. Those classes had the grades given by the college. I did not assign grades to the classes we had done at home.

We are working with a small statistical sample here - he only applied to two schools - the University of Washington and the Air Force Academy. He was accepted to both places. The Academy did want me to give grades for the classes we had done at home so I put some on there. I spent maybe five hours - at the most - doing his transcript the week he was finishing up his application process. I understand that this is probably not typical and most moms put way more into than this. But I couldn't think of anything else to include. MY transcript from high school was a flimsy carbon copy thing. At least we printed his on a nice piece of linen weave resume paper!

Kate in Seattle

come to the dark side - we have cookies

because we don't spend a lot of time making transcripts!!

i will probably have to eat my words with some other kid, but for him - it was easy!

She came away so discouraged because the speaker insisted that you can not include any class on the high school transcript that is taken before 9th grade, except Algebra I.

Several people on this forum have said that colleges to which their dc applied specified that all credits on the transcript must have been earned during the 4 years immediately preceeding the applications--IOW, nothing before 9th grade. So in this, the speaker was correct...at least for *some* colleges.

Secondly, she stated that colleges require a portfolio that corroborates what is on the transcript.

Not all colleges required portfolios. It is why you need to contact the colleges ahead of time that your dc might be interested in attending.

From my own research and many threads I've read on this board, this info does not seem accurate.

See my note above about what some colleges require.

I understand that a transcript is not "required" to have dates for when classes were taken. The benefit being that some middle schoolers who take high school level work may indeed get credit. For instance, my dd will finish Latin Prep III in 8th and my hope was to give 1 credit for high school Latin. I had also planned physical science for 8th hoping to give 1 science credit. Am I completely misinformed?

See my comment above. :-) Also, if you're thinking about college requirements, most colleges only want to see lab sciences on transcripts; unless that physical science is a lab, it might not count, anyway.

Please gals; help me out. I want to be properly informed and ready for the requirements of high school. If this helps, my friend and I live in GA.

She may be right, at least as far as colleges in GA.

There really are two issues here: what is "required" for high school, and what is required to get into college. They are not the same thing. Most states don't have requirements for what homeschooled students must do in order to be graduated, so of course parents are free to determine when their dc are finished with their education at home. It is only when considering college applications that you have to figure out things like credits and whatnot.

None of the schools my son applied to wanted portfolios, but all wanted grades and the dates (years) courses were taken.

I'm going to echo one thing said before... colleges also wanted references from outside the home educational instructors. My oldest has only had one high school class outside of our home - and he's taking it now, his senior year (cc English class). It's worked out ok for him since he's not going into a competitive major, BUT I plan to have my other boys take at least 2 classes outside of home if I can come up with the money and plan. (Where we are it costs me $600/class for cc classes. I envy those that get them for free or inexpensively.)

High ACT/SAT scores are also really good... they are part of what my oldest had that worked well in his favor. He's been courted by many schools who have more or less guaranteed him admission if only he would apply (I saw no need to apply to more than the 3 schools he actually wanted to attend - he got into all 3). The outside references - for him - are more necessary for his applications for the school's high award scholarships. Fortunately, they have agreed that he can use his Chess Team's coaches so he can have more than one outside reference.

I have been told many, many times that colleges consider homeschooled students among their best - and worst - applicants/students. Their desire is to try to figure out who is who. They use homeschool transcripts, but really want to see them verified by other sources. I have not encounted any bias against homeschool - just the need to be sure the foundation for learning is there.

And yes, credits taken before 9th grade do not count, but I put an asterisk and added a note that my son had done Alg 1 and Alg 2 in 7th and 8th respectively. He had Geometry, Pre-Calc and Calc as well as Consumer Math to count for math credits in high school. My middle son did Alg 1 and Geo in 7th and 8th plus World History in 8th (high school course) and will have a similar note - plus might add statistics for a high school course. I'll have to fill in another history somewhere probably - or might not. He'll have 3 credits (Geography, US, Gov't/Economics) as is.

It's very common now for ps kids to take hs level classes in 8th so if you need them, add them. I had to do a NCAA transcript for dd#1 & I needed a couple of the classes she took in 8th to fill in their slots. They didn't have a problem as long as the publisher said it was a high school level class. None of the 5 schools she applied to wanted a portfolio, too much paper is my guess. It's not a bad idea to have photos, etc (like a school scrapbook) anyway. We do them anyway for the yearly evaluation process & pictures make it "real;" you don't fake dissection at the kitchen table!

Like Kate, I divided the high school level work we had done into courses, gave them titles, marked the ones taken at CC, and listed them by subject. They were ungraded, except for the CC ones. My sample size is even smaller: my son applied to one college and got in. I will do the same for my next son, if we can get away with it. If they want years, I will make a note of anything taken before 9th grade, and try my best to assign a year to each class. If they want grades, I will do my best to assign them. The plan is to have him take enough CC classes to demonstrate that he can handle college level work (at least at this particular CC). That is the plan, anyway. We, too, found that number of credits wasn't a problem. The real problems come when you want to NOT do something for the number of years that colleges recommend during the four years before entrance. My youngest will probably keep studying math and English and other academic subjects all through high school, so I'm not too worried about this. He is going to look a little unusual no matter what I do, and this is as it ought to be, since his education is rather unusual. The older one didn't need a portfolio. If I need one for the youngest, we'll put one together. We keep all the work, anyway.

HTH

-Nan

Ladies, thanks for these thorough responses. I'm going to summarize what I've read on each of your posts. You can let me know if I am understanding things correctly.

1. Based on your experiences, it does seem that allowing credit before 9th depends on each college's admission policy. So, generally, it is better to not include work before 9th.

2. Grades from outsourced classes hold more weight than "mommy grades". Most of you mentioned that you only recorded grades from outsourced classes on the transcript.

3. Keeping a portfolio is not necessarily "required", but again does vary depending on the college. I'll do this anyway. I'd rather be safe than sorry, KWIM.

4. Most of you had no problem generating enough credits for high school graduation, so that is a relief to hear.

The outsourcing aspect has really caught my attention and generated some more questions:

Question: If you only outsource 2-3 classes and those are the only grades appearing on the transcript, then how do you count all the other work with no grade equivalent? (I understand the credit part, but I'm referring to GPA and potential for scholarships.)

Question: Are AP courses taken through somebody like Penn Homeschoolers considered outsourced?

Thanks again, ladies. You are a wealth of knowledge!

Jennifer

Ladies, thanks for these thorough responses. I'm going to summarize what I've read on each of your posts. You can let me know if I am understanding things correctly.

1. Based on your experiences, it does seem that allowing credit before 9th depends on each college's admission policy. So, generally, it is better to not include work before 9th.

2. Grades from outsourced classes hold more weight than "mommy grades". Most of you mentioned that you only recorded grades from outsourced classes on the transcript.

3. Keeping a portfolio is not necessarily "required", but again does vary depending on the college. I'll do this anyway. I'd rather be safe than sorry, KWIM.

4. Most of you had no problem generating enough credits for high school graduation, so that is a relief to hear.

The outsourcing aspect has really caught my attention and generated some more questions:

Question: If you only outsource 2-3 classes and those are the only grades appearing on the transcript, then how do you count all the other work with no grade equivalent? (I understand the credit part, but I'm referring to GPA and potential for scholarships.)

Question: Are AP courses taken through somebody like Penn Homeschoolers considered outsourced?

Thanks again, ladies. You are a wealth of knowledge!

Jennifer

What a great summary! The only thing I would tweak is #2, in that colleges want corroboration of your mommy grades - so AP and SAT subject tests fit that bill as well. Strong test scores can help verify your high mommy grades. And APs and SATs can be self-studied by homeschoolers.

Really I think adcoms only want to predict how well a student will do if accepted. Most bricks and mortar schools have a school philosophy and profile - so we get to provide whatever we want for that ;)

I heard, from a mom who went before me in this process, that her goal was to have the adcoms not spend any of the very few minutes they'll spend on her child questioning what she meant in her documents, so her intention was to answer all potential questions from the get-go ;)

I heard, from a mom who went before me in this process, that her goal was to have the adcoms not spend any of the very few minutes they'll spend on her child questioning what she meant in her documents, so her intention was to answer all potential questions from the get-go ;)

Great advice! Thanks!

Not giving grades is rare. You just happened to have two people answer who don't. Most people give those Mummy grades and put them on the transcript and average them into a GPA. Only a few of us don't.

My son had eight CC classes. I said CC GPA and listed it. If I had filled out something that asked for my own grades only, I would have put 0 for the GPA. Or not-applicable, if possible.

Another consideration is the timing of the CC classes. My son's college is technical and they wanted to see his CC math and science grades. He didn't take these until senior year. The college accepted him (just before Thanksgiving) with the provision that he get at least a 2.0 in his math and chem. This college isn't hard to get into if you meet their requirements. However, if you want to go to a competative college and you wait unti senior year to take CC classes and then want to apply early decision, it may be a problem.

-Nan

My dd took an AP class in the 8th grade. It definitely went onto her high school transcript. It's ridiculous to think she'll earn college credit for the course, but not high school credit? The same thing for her Algebra 2 course that she took. The CC she's now attending was quite happy with my transcript which dilenated courses by subject area, not year.

As we schooled year round up until this year, it would make no sense for us to have subjects grouped by traditional school years. As one subject was finished, the next was started, no matter what time of year it was or how long it took to finish the subject (as long as the subject covered at least the same amount of material in a year long high school course).

You'll find many ways to do your dc's transcripts from people on this board. Choose the one that makes the most sense for your family.

As always, just my $.02.

We gave grades in all the major classes - based on test scores (and we have the tests to back them up if need be). I did P/F for the minor classes (Driver's Ed, PE, etc). The schools my son's applied to didn't care about the 'fluff' classes anyway. They did, however, want a GPA - and as you point out - it's important for scholarship consideration at many schools.

We didn't encounter any colleges that absolutely forbid any credits for classes taken in "8th grade". But we did encounter colleges that were quite restrictive and quite specific about those credits. For example, typically they allowed Algebra 1 to be taken in 8th grade, but one college then required that 3 full credits of math beyond that be taken during high school (the 4 calendar years before the graduation date). Also typical was allowing a foreign language credit to be earned in 8th grade, as long as that course was of high school rigor. None of these particular colleges allowed required science credits (lab sciences) to have been earned in 8th grade. That was just our experience, though.

We did not encounter any colleges that wanted portfolios. But I did save samples of work (mostly original work like writing, lab reports, etc.) and I copied the tables of contents of the textbooks we used. I took a few photos, too. We were prepared to assemble a portfolio if necessary, though we never needed to. It's been fun to look back at those things, so I don't regret having them.

Something else we experienced that might be important information: ALL of the colleges which we began researching during our sons' pre-high school years changed their admissions requirements at least once before the time came for our sons to apply to those colleges. In fact, ALL of those colleges have now changed their admissions requirements SINCE our sons applied to them too. This is just a fact of life. As you proceed through your high school journey, be prepared to be flexible and keep checking the admissions requirements of your possible college choices. In general, the changes were favorable to homeschoolers, but not always.

Edited by Janet in WA

My dd took an AP class in the 8th grade. It definitely went onto her high school transcript. It's ridiculous to think she'll earn college credit for the course' date=' but not high school credit? The same thing for her Algebra 2 course that she took. The CC she's now attending was quite happy with my transcript which dilenated courses by subject area, not year.

I am with you there! That seems ridiculous to me, too, to not get HS credit.

As we schooled year round up until this year, it would make no sense for us to have subjects grouped by traditional school years. As one subject was finished, the next was started, no matter what time of year it was or how long it took to finish the subject (as long as the subject covered at least the same amount of material in a year long high school course).

This is what we do also, so I'm already thinking our transcript will look less than traditional.

You'll find many ways to do your dc's transcripts from people on this board. Choose the one that makes the most sense for your family.

Trust me, I will do that. I will read, read, read to dig for my answers and find what suits us.

Something else we experienced that might be important information: ALL of the colleges which we began researching during our sons' pre-high school years changed their admissions requirements at least once before the time came for our sons to apply to those colleges. In fact, ALL of those colleges have now changed their admissions requirements SINCE our sons applied to them too. This is just a fact of life. As you proceed through your high school journey, be prepared to be flexible and keep checking the admissions requirements of your possible college choices. In general, the changes were favorable to homeschoolers, but not always.

Why am I not surprised by this. I find myself having a love/hate relationship with college education. I had my own woes eons ago with changes in admissions & transfer acceptance policies. I once had to take Management 2X because of a transfer error.

Thanks again gals.

Jennifer

I give grades to classes. My dd receives higher grades from outside classes than she does for so of mine so I am not the least bit worried. (This is because she does math and science at home always and those are the hardest subjects for her and she has gotten only A's in outside classes because she is extremely responsible and hardworking). I don't have photos of her doing science experiments so far. I guess we might take a few but mainly I rely on the fact that a PhD scientist is helping her with her labs (her father). We have kept school materials and I will be able to come up with some kind of portfolio if necessary but so far the school's she is interested in do not require this. I don't plan on sending course descriptions either unless they request them. I asked one college and they said they only want that if you have untraditional transcripts without grades and with strange titles. Mine is very straightforward like English 9, ALgebra II, Chemistry, etc. so they said that was what they were looking for. The one thing that was stressed over and over again in the admissions office presentations was how they want concise information and not lots of extras. I don't plan to make their job harder.

I asked one college and they said they only want that if you have untraditional transcripts without grades and with strange titles. Mine is very straightforward like English 9, ALgebra II, Chemistry, etc. so they said that was what they were looking for. The one thing that was stressed over and over again in the admissions office presentations was how they want concise information and not lots of extras. I don't plan to make their job harder.

I went to a seminar given by an admissions officer at the University of Washington. He also stressed that colleges are very traditional kinds of places - especially admissions. They don't want to see - Multicultural studies through Renaissance Muisc. They do want to see - World History: 1400-1650, American Lit. They want to compare apple to apples in other words because those are the kinds of classes other applicants are listing. He also mentioned they like to see progression - he is happy to see English I, English II, English III, English IV.

One thing that I would like to add to this discussion is based on two separate conversations that I have had recently with admissions counselors. Both told me that they are looking for more information from homeschooled students, but whether that comes from a portfolio, outside grades from a CC or a community center, course descriptions, etc. really was up to me. They realize that homeschoolers do not necessarily conform.

In both cases, I had telephoned to ask about the homeschool supplement to the Common Application with which I have Issues. This supplement has a fill in the blank transcript which is rigid--precisely four boxes for science, four boxes for foreign language, etc. This does not work for my son who has had more science and foreign language, so I asked the admissions officers if they wanted to see a partial transcript on this form or would the transcript that I uploaded as a high counselor (the whole story) suffice. Of course it would, but one feels awkward about leaving a section blank on the application. One admissions officer (at one of Lauren Pope's Schools that Change Lives) told me that they would prefer to see the more complete picture so I could send anything I want to override the limitations of the form. Another admission officer (different School that Changes Lives) said that I sounded more organized than most homeschoolers (a scary thought at present since I feel anything but organized). If they feel that they do not have an adequate picture of the applicant, then they ask for portfolios.

One thing that I think those of you with middle school aged children need to keep in mind is that just because Dream School wants A, B, and C today does not mean that they will have the same list of requirements in a few years. We are seeing this with schools to which my son is applying. The Honors College at one has completely changed the hoops through which applicants must jump for the incoming class of 2010 high school grads. We would have had no way of predicting this. Janet in WA said it best.

Jane

Agreeing with everyone else that the speaker was not giving an overall accurate picture.

With my oldest, I was told specifically to keep the transcript simple and very traditional. No portfolio, no class descriptions, nada. His grades were "verified" by outside classes (18 hrs of university dual enrollment).

However, this ds just went to a state college and the application process was not as difficult as some of the more prestigious schools.

I wanted to share an idea that I just gleaned from a mom of a brilliant dd. Her dd has completed math beyond multivariable calculus as well as numerous non-traditional math courses (such as number theory, probability, etc) Her dd has over 12 math credits on her transcript. The way she generated the transcript is excellent and one in which I plan on following with my non-traditional kid. She organized by both subject and yr. Yet, she labelled yrs as prior to 9th grade, then your traditional 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th. This allows them to see all the coursework, but not be as cumbersome as labelling every yr.

I am going to use this approach b/c my 8th grader took alg 1 in 6th, geo in 7th, and is now taking alg 2 and intro to counting and probability as an 8th grader. He is going to start alg 3 with Art of Problem Solving in March. He is also taking alg 2 based physics this yr. By following her idea, I will be able to list all these courses in the prior to 9th grade column to show just how much he achieved prior to high school while still showing the rest of his sequence throughout high school.

As far as outside verification, SAT IIs, AP scores, AoPS, John Hopkins courses, etc. are going to be the route I take with this child b/c here you can only dual enroll at a CC vs. at universities and I don't want him taking the classes at the CC.

Just adding a few additional comments.

I don't think they necessarily hold more weight so much as corroborate one's own grades. As others have stated, there are other ways of doing this of which testing is one. There are AP tests, SAT/ACT tests, PSAT, math tests, foreign language tests (i.e., the National Latin and Greek exams), and more.

My daughter took quite a few classes out of the home, so she did have a goodly number of community college grades. She also took several classes at a publicly funded homeschooling center. While that center does not supply a transcript or formal grades, one can solicit individual instructors for grade input. I did assign grades for those classes as well as my daughter's at home classes. (I addressed these points in my homeschool profile.) There were a few classes for which I did not assign grades; I simply put a P on her transcript (for participation) in those cases. Some of these were for physical education or for short language courses given in a community learning situation. I'd be happy to share my transcript with you if you send me a personal message with your email address.

Yes, they are. I noted all out of the home classes on my transcript with a key.

Regards,

Kareni

I just wanted to thank everyone for your informative posts. I have seen that most of you worked your dc's transcript out based on what was required of the college. You all have given me some ideas for the path that we will take for HS. As always, I'm sure I'll have other questions down the road. Nice to know that you ladies are so willing to share.

:grouphug:

Thanks....

Jennifer

I wanted to share an idea that I just gleaned from a mom of a brilliant dd. Her dd has completed math beyond multivariable calculus as well as numerous non-traditional math courses (such as number theory, probability, etc) Her dd has over 12 math credits on her transcript. The way she generated the transcript is excellent and one in which I plan on following with my non-traditional kid. She organized by both subject and yr. Yet, she labelled yrs as prior to 9th grade, then your traditional 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th. This allows them to see all the coursework, but not be as cumbersome as labelling every yr.

I am going to use this approach b/c my 8th grader took alg 1 in 6th, geo in 7th, and is now taking alg 2 and intro to counting and probability as an 8th grader. He is going to start alg 3 with Art of Problem Solving in March. He is also taking alg 2 based physics this yr. By following her idea, I will be able to list all these courses in the prior to 9th grade column to show just how much he achieved prior to high school while still showing the rest of his sequence throughout high school.

momof7, would you mind describing her transcript in a bit more detail? I'm trying to visualize it. Is, say, 'math' one heading, and underneath that heading are all the math classes listed by year taken? Or is one column 'prior to 9th grade' and all high-level classes taken are listed under that? I'm very interested in this idea, because my 8th-grade son is in a position very similar to that of your son -- I'm thinking of having him take Alg. 3 with AoPS this March also! We've just started precalculus and I can see his math record, at least, will not be the traditional high-school sequence.

Thank you for posting this! I love all the great ideas I learn from this board. Like Jen, I appreciate everyone's time!

~Laura

I'm going to try to type it visually b/c it will be easier than describing. Well.....it didn't post the way I typed it. Just imagine the < to 9th 9th 10th 11th 12th in columns to the right and grades simply placed under the appropriate grade.

HTH

Courses < to 9th 9th 10th 11th 12th

Math

Algebra 1 A

Geometry A

Algebra 2 A

Algebra 3 A

Number Theory A

Calculus A

etc

Science

(list of classes)