Menu

I'm looking into/considering going back to school ...

I teach at a local community college that feeds into a number of really good state schools (including two "Public Ivies").

It's very, very rare for a student to receive scholarships and grants that cover all of the college expenses plus living expenses. The only ones that way that I'm aware of are for adult students with very high test scores in very limited situations and only certain majors. I've had several students who were laid off in plant/base closures with this kind of thing, but they indicated that the stipend they received for living expenses really wasn't enough to live on and that they had to live with relatives/friends, work, or count on a spouse to support them. Most students that I know receiving a lot of aid have to either work and/or take out loans for some or part of it. One student that I know that graduated last year had a really good aid package with no loans, but he had to work 10 hours a week on campus to afford transportation, health insurance, school supplies, etc. while living at home because his family was below the poverty line with many other siblings still at home.

It's worth asking about, but an admission/aid officer at the college you're thinking of is the best source of real information. The online universities are good too, but keep in mind that most of them offer less scholarships and aid although that may be offset by alternate forms of credit.

Edited by GVA