Menu

Calculus

I'm just curious why you think you need a refresher in Calculus for Statistics? In my doctoral program I had 10 graduate level stats courses, and I then taught stats at a large university. Calculus played no part in any of them (and I had Calculus as an undergradate in college). In my opinion, they are very much two separate subjects.

What's Survival Analysis?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survival_analysis

from wikipedia:

Survival analysis is a branch of statistics which deals with death in biological organisms and failure in mechanical systems. This topic is called reliability theory or reliability analysis in engineering, and duration analysis or duration modeling in economics or sociology. More generally, survival analysis involves the modeling of time to event data; in this context, death or failure is considered an "event" in the survival analysis literature.

from wikipedia:

Survival analysis is a branch of statistics which deals with death in biological organisms and failure in mechanical systems. This topic is called reliability theory or reliability analysis in engineering, and duration analysis or duration modeling in economics or sociology. More generally, survival analysis involves the modeling of time to event data; in this context, death or failure is considered an "event" in the survival analysis literature.

what this has to do with Calculus? I TAUGHT reliability theory in college and I can guarantee you that it doesn't have any calculus in it. Those two subjects couldn't be more different. In my mind that would be like saying you must study biology before taking history. :confused:

still....I'm wondering

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jen3boys viewpost.gif

from wikipedia:

what this has to do with Calculus? I TAUGHT reliability theory in college and I can guarantee you that it doesn't have any calculus in it. Those two subjects couldn't be more different. In my mind that would be like saying you must study biology before taking history. :confused:

I see. Ds is taking a class called Math Modeling, which has a calc prerequisite. What they are using most is differential equations and regression, especially logarithms and exponential growth and decay. They use some stats and other hints to find a formula that will produce the rest of the stats. Which means you need to be able to do at least the first half of the calc book.

I think the huge improvement in calculators (and math programs for the PC/Mac) enabled this field to get a lot more math-heavy, certainly since I was in college.

I still recommend Khan Academy, with the calc book of your choice.