Menu

Art of Problem Solving. . . book only or online class??

I am looking at AoPS courses for my math-accelerated dc this spring.

I am waffling between book(s) only OR the books with the online courses.

I am a math-y person, so I don't mind teaching and I realize that I'll need to teach the material prior to the online meetings anyway, so I expect to be involved with the books whether or not the kid(s) do the courses online as well.

Has anyone done it with just the books? Done it both ways? Pros? Cons?

Advice?

(FWIW, I am looking at Alg 1 for my ds10 who'll be coming out of TW PreAlg and I am looking at Count/Prob for ddthen13 who'll be coming out of TW Int. Alg.)

TIA!!!!!!!

I've only used the Problem Solving books so far (Count/Prob and Number Theory are on their way!), and I have no experience with the online classes, but between the cost difference and my own inclination to schedule things to suit myself (LOL), I figure we'll be doing just the books for a while.

If your kid really likes the online interaction I think it sounds like a lot of fun... DS is not particularly into that, although I imagine he might be soon. I'm saving my pennies against that day... ;) But until then, I'm happy with the books, and especially happy with their price!

My son's doing Intro to Counting and Probability right now. The class is once a week where the instructor goes over a few representative problems for the chapters while the class responds as he works through the problems with them. It's not so much that the class itself is great, but it's the support of the class. First, the schedule is fast-paced so it's nice to have an outside source set the schedule for us! THe interaction on the forum for the weekly review problems is excellent - the kids have to write out their solutions, give hints to each other, allow each other to see alternative ways to solve the same problem, teacher interaction, and help each other find ways out of their circular or faulty reasoning. Then alcumus is great with the online video lessons and random practice problems. My son's teacher posts weekly (on the forum) the "leader board for the class" for alcumus which motivates my son! I was looking for a first "on-line" out-sourced class for my son - and this is working out well. We still read the chapter together and do the end-of-chapter questions together. So.....to answer your question. THe class is quite "doable" by yourselves - at-home - as a matter of fact I will do a few of the courses that way myself (like the art of problem solving books) but if you're looking for a first "semi-independent" course like I was for my son, this is a good one to start with.

Myra

Thank you all so much for your feedback!!

I feel much better about the option of Book Only! I think the courses sound great, but the cost is high and the scheduling pressure might be more than we want for the spring.

That book only option might work best for dd12 for counting and probability since she has been working hard on her math lately and I like the idea of having more flexibility on when to finish. Ds10 is the one who loves online interaction, so I will keep thinking about whether to have him do the class or just the book for Alg1.

Maybe I will start them both on book only and get them started with Alcumus as well. Then maybe next fall/winter we'll look at doing a course online after having the gentler introduction of book-only/mom-led. Hmmm.

THANKS SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!