Menu

Best resource for literary devices?

I need to purchase a really good, thorough resource which would describe and give examples for all kinds of literary devices, grammatical structures, and rhetorical techniques, both for prose and poetry. It could be a "dictionary" of sorts, one which would give examples for literary devices like repetition, parallelism, synechdoche, etc.

Can any one give me their best recommendations? I will be needing this more in months to come!

Thanks in advance! :)

From your description, I immediately thought about Literature: An Introduction to Reading and Writing by Edgar V. Roberts. Here's the link: http://www.amazon.com/Literature-Introduction-Reading-Writing-8th/dp/0131732781/ref=tmm_hrd_title_0

The 9th edition is out, but this 8th edition has good used prices. I have the 3rd edition and still use it as a reference tool.

HTH!

From your description, I immediately thought about Literature: An Introduction to Reading and Writing by Edgar V. Roberts. Here's the link: http://www.amazon.com/Literature-Introduction-Reading-Writing-8th/dp/0131732781/ref=tmm_hrd_title_0

Beth, I have another book by Roberts, Writing Themes About Literature, the 6th edition. If your resource has info. on literary devices, it will be a tremendous help! Thanks---I'll look into this!

Glossary of Literary Terms

http://www.uncp.edu/home/canada/work/allam/general/glossary.htm

Glossary of Rhetorical Terms with Examples

http://www.uky.edu/AS/Classics/rhetoric.html

Virtual Salt: Glossary of Literary Terms

http://www.virtualsalt.com/litterms.htm

Lori, my thanks to you as well! I've used the link from the University of Kentucky several times for my Latin studies, but was not aware of the other two. I tried a Google search on literary devices, but needed more than what was provided through the University of Kentucky (i.e., in terms of more American or English usage of literary terms and devices); these other links that you have provided will be a tremendous help!

Thank you both---I knew I could get some help here!

:)

The 9th edition is out, but this 8th edition has good used prices. I have the 3rd edition and still use it as a reference tool.

HTH!

Beth,

This sounds very interesting. Could you please give us some details, such as a partial table of contents? I'd love to be able to peruse a copy but Amazon doesn't have a preview for the book.

Thanks!

GardenMom

I don't know if this will be thorough enough but at the Cincy Midwest Convention this summer SWB recommended this book and had copies at the PHP table: Essential Literary Terms by Sharon Hamilton.

I didn't purchase it because ds is still young and we are getting by with a used 2004 edition of Oxford's Concise Dictionary of Literary Terms.

HTH

I need to purchase a really good, thorough resource which would describe and give examples for all kinds of literary devices, grammatical structures, and rhetorical techniques, both for prose and poetry. It could be a "dictionary" of sorts, one which would give examples for literary devices like repetition, parallelism, synechdoche, etc.

Can any one give me their best recommendations? I will be needing this more in months to come!

Thanks in advance! :)

Here's the table of contents for the 3rd edition (I've added more information about the chapter in parentheses):

1--Introduction: Reading, Responding and Writing About Literature

FICTION

2--Fiction: An Overview (Modern Fiction, Short Story, Elements of Fiction, Precis Writing)

3--Plot & Structure: The Development & Organization of Stories (Plot, Structure of Fiction)

4--Characters: The People in Stories (Major Character Traits, Types of Characters)

5--Point of View: The Position & Stance of the Narrator or Speaker (Conditions That Affect POV, Mingling POV)

6--Setting: Place, Objects & Culture in Stories (Types & Uses of Setting)

7--Style: The Words That Tell the Story (Diction & Rhetoric)

8--Tone: Attitude & Control in Fiction (Tone Within Stories)

9--Symbolism & Allegory: Keys to Extended Meaning (Fable, Parable, & Myth)

10--Idea or Theme: The Meaning & the Message in Fiction (Distinguishing Between Ideas and Actions)

11--Additional Stories

POETRY

12--Meeting Poetry: An Overview (Nature, Language, Paraphrasing)

13--Character & Setting: Who, What, Where, & When in Poetry

14--Words: The Building Blocks of Poetry (Denotation & Connotation, Diction, Syntax)

15--Imagery: The Poem's Link to the Senses (Responses, Ideas & Attitudes, Classification)

16--Rhetorical Figures: A Source of Depth & Range in Poetry (Metaphor & Simile)

17--Tone: The Creation of Attitude in Poetry (Reader Response)

18--Prosody: Sound, Rhythm, & Rhyme in Poetry (Distinguishing Sounds from Spelling, Metrical Feet)

19--Form: The Shape of the Poem (Closed & Open)

20--Symbolism & Allusion: Windows to a Wide Expanse of Meaning

21--Myth: Systems of Symbolic Allusion in Poetry

22--Theme: Idea, Motif, & Meaning in Poetry

23--Poetic Careers: The Work of Three Poets

24--Additional Poems

DRAMA

25--Drama: An Overview (History, Performance, Types, Elements)

26--Tragedy: Affirmation Through Loss

27--Comedy: Restoring the Balance

28--Realistic & Nonrealistic Plays: Varying the Idea of Drama as Imitation

29--Film: Drama on the Silver & Color Screens

APPENDIX

A--Taking Examinations on Literature

B--Comparison-Contrast & Extended Comparison-Contrast: Learning by Seeing Things Together

C--Writing & Documenting the Research Essay

HTH!

I don't know if this will be thorough enough but at the Cincy Midwest Convention this summer SWB recommended this book and had copies at the PHP table: Essential Literary Terms by Sharon Hamilton.

I didn't purchase it because ds is still young and we are getting by with a used 2004 edition of Oxford's Concise Dictionary of Literary Terms.

HTH

Thanks TeaTotaler!

I bought this at the Dulles, VA, convention from the PHP table. It looks great but doesn't have the answers. I sent a request to the publisher, but they never answered me. Perhaps PHP will start selling an instructor's edition as well.

GardenMom

Here's the table of contents for the 3rd edition (I've added more information about the chapter in parentheses):

HTH!

Thanks so much for this, Beth! It looks like it would be perfect if I didn't have so much other "stuff."

I also have another recommendation - check out study guides for both AP English Exams (Language & Literature). The AP Language exam is geared more toward essays and nonfiction, with an emphasis on rhetorical techniques. The AP Literature exam is geared toward fiction, including drama and poetry, and emphasizes literature analysis. Dd and I have found the Cliff's prep guides to be the best - they have glossaries and succinct instruction, as well as lots of practice questions to help cement the concepts. We also like the Barron's guides. Dd took (and did well on) AP Language last year; this year she's doing AP Lit.

Other resources I have and like are the Norton guide mentioned above (for high school +), How to Read Literature Like a Professor (for high school +), and Figuratively Speaking (middle school+).

Thanks, all!

GardenMom