Menu

How do I help my oldest dd with hormonal mood swings (i.e., nutritional advice)?

My oldest daughter has incredible mood swings around that time of the month. I do think that some better nutrition would be in order during that time, or for a week or two before. When she keeps track on her calendar, I can remind her to drink extra milk (for calcium) and eat extra bananas (for potassium), because those two nutrients have helped me quite a bit.

Are there any other supplements that I can give her that would help even out her mood swings? Sometimes I feel like I'm going to pull my hair out every month between her and my middle daughter!

Sorry to post this on this board, but I really don't frequent the other boards!

Thanks for your advice!

Easier said than done. I can't even get myself to follow my own advice.lol. What I've found helps (when I stick to it) is a lower carb eating pattern during that time. I crave sweets, fats, breads, etc, during that pms time, but I need to avoid these like the plaque right then. Exercise is very good too.

Be sure the milk she is drinking is organic. Severe pms symptoms have been shown to have a basis in too much estrogen that isn't being broken down properly. I found relief for all my symptoms by taking Vitex (chaste tree berry), because it has a progesterone type effect on the body (which balances and breaks down extra estrogen). Unfortunately, I also ended up with increased migraines from the progesterone. Many people do find relief from progesterone therapy.

Good luck with that;)

I take vitamins every day, but three days before my cycle is due (when my pms symptoms really kick in), I also take a B-complex vitamin. It's the B-6 that is actually known to relieve pms symptoms and control blood sugars. I copied this info from one site, but google B-6 and pms and you will find lots of information.

Taking low doses of vitamin B6 daily may be effective in relieving the symptoms of premenstrual syndrome (PMS), including depression, according to British researchers.

There is evidence to suggest that 50 milligrams daily of vitamin B6 is likely to be beneficial in treating premenstrual syndrome and, at this stage, there is no conclusive evidence of neurological side effects.

The researchers reviewed nine published trials in which vitamin B6 was compared with (an inactive) placebo in more than 900 women with PMS. Doses of vitamin B6 up to 100 milligrams daily were significantly better than placebo in relieving overall premenstrual symptoms and in relieving depression associated with premenstrual syndrome.

My almost 14yo son seems to have one hormonal surge each month that is VERY compariable to a woman's once a month hormonal surge.

He gets VERY moody, emotional and irrational. He also has a bad acne break-out during that one week.

I really thought I'd miss out on this, since I don't have girls!LOL Nope, not gonna happen. All teens have hormonal surges.

Greta Lea

From a nutritional point, a low carb diet, daily exercise, and B-12 vitamins all help me tremendously. Cutting out all refined sugar and eating protein at each meal makes a world of difference for me. Also, being aware of when I am having or likely to be having hormonal shifts is important so that I can make sure to try to reduce my stress level as much as possible during those times.

HTH,

Lisa

My oldest daughter has incredible mood swings around that time of the month. I do think that some better nutrition would be in order during that time, or for a week or two before.

Sometimes I feel like I'm going to pull my hair out every month between her and my middle daughter!

While good nutrition goes a long way to improve emotions, I would also suggest bringing your dd in for blood work so you can rule out any possible problems that would necessitate medical treatment.

For years, we experienced horrible mood swings with our (now) 17yodd. It wasn't until this year that we found out she needed to be on Wellbutrin. Now her emotions are so much more stable all through the month and she tells us she finally feels like a "normal" person.

Please don't overlook help from the medical profession. If there is no medical problem, then you can eliminate that and focus your attentions on better nutrition.

My two cents....

I have this problem myself and did not like taking Prozac, etc., to control it. I read a book called Fertility, Cycles, and Nutrition by Marilyn Shannon (also of Apologia Advanced Biology fame) and decided to try some of the supplements she mentioned there. I was *very* skeptical, because I am not an organic, vegetarian, whole foods type of person at all and I wondered how much help this might be--you know, like some "vegameatavitamin". :D

Well, it worked. I saw a very noticable improvement in my moods. She recommends a multivitamin called Optivite (much higher doses of vitamins, but still within safe limits), which can usually be special ordered through your pharmacy. In addition, there are specific nutrients that I supplemented (Mg, B6, Zinc, E, calcium, folic acid and flax oil). Of course I am an adult, having babies/nursing babies so my needs are different, but you might try the multi-vit and read the book for specific needs. If you can't find it to borrow you may try contacting a local teaching couple for the Couple to Couple League (Natural Family Planning) www.ccli.org . Scroll to the bottom and click "Find a teaching couple". They may be able to loan you a book. Otherwise you can purchase a copy. Or you may be able to find a similar resource in the library.

Good luck; I know we'll be trying this with my dd as she gets older.