Menu

Has anyone used Sonlight, then NOT liked it in highschool?

There's a thread going about this already. I'll link it below.

I have used SL since K, but I don't like the high school level Cores. I'm using mostly Oak Meadow with my 9th grader this year and I really like it. I'll be switching to Oak Meadow for high school for all of my kids.

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137551&highlight=AngieW

We are using Core 5 for my highschooler. I am thinking of switching to either Beautiful Feet or textbook for the rest of her highschool. Did any of you NOT like SL upper cores? Can you tell me why?

I don't think the upper cores have enough literary analysis, and some of the books I would NOT include in a high school course description list.

I guess it depends on where your student want to go after high school, but we found WTM when my dd was in 5th grade and it's been a great fit for our family. I reluctantly gave up lit for her to do an online class last year with Scholars Online and she's continued with them this year (senior year) - it's been a great transition to a classroom setting for her.:001_smile:

some of the books I would NOT include in a high school course description list

That's true. I don't get why they include easy reader books that are aimed at early to middle elementary kids in their high school curricula. That said, I have used modified Sonlight in high school and loved it. I just left out the books I didn't like. Their notes are terrific. The Holzmanns think like I do and teach like I like to teach. I have done SL 200 with my kids when they were in 8th and 10th. I will definitely use SL 300 with my younger son and possibly 100 (not sure about that one.)